Thursday, November 1, 2018

Celebrating Ten Years of Running: Running IS My Therapy



While I always put my best foot forward and remain as positive and grateful as I possibly can, I'd recently been struggling with my runs. I even wrote about Taking a Pause. Tom's knee injury last week was both a stressor and a wake up call for me. The stress of watching our daughter struggle and suffer with psychiatric challenges, and a system that lacks resources and talent and that is profoundly broken to help someone find their way out of the darkness was taking a big toll on me, mind, body and soul. Tom's knee injury was a tipping point of stress and I decided it was time for a shift.

After I dropped Tom off at work, I parked the car across the street from the Reservoir, fastened on my water belt and was deeply grateful for a beautiful Autumn day in Boston.

I felt sluggish during my first mile. "What can I do to shift this feeling?" I thought to myself.

I reminded myself of all of the adventures of runner girl 1953 and embodied myself as a runner. I told myself to ditch the stress into the Reservoir and into the Universe. I kicked my own behind. For some reason, my iPhone deleted my running playlist that I titled, "The 12 minute mile" and I shuffled my library to accompany my run. A talk from Dr. Joe Dispenza came on. While I could not hear the specifics of what he was saying I felt his energy and reminded myself that it was time to think greater than my current circumstances and to embody my future self running a 12 minute mile.

I ended up with a 38 second negative split between mile 1 and mile 2 and an 18 second negative split between miles 2 and 3. But more important than the actual pace was how I felt once again pushing myself and visualizing crossing another finish line at some point in the not too distant future.

When I looked to the heavens, I saw an angel in the cloud formation against the backdrop of a beautiful blue sky:


I captured the beauty of Source in these photos:


and drew strength from the beauty and power that surrounded me.

I was sweating from the inside out cleansing the toxins of stress.

I realized that there is nothing more I can do to help my daughter in her recovery but what I can do is to nourish myself and to find ways to feel happy, healthy and enjoy a state of well being.

That run opened my heart and opened my mind to possibility. Rather than contracting into a state of anger, frustration and vigilance I now surround myself with a cascading waterfall of Divine Love.

This morning I put on my new playlist while I cleaned. I danced and I sang feeling gratitude overwhelm me for our beautiful decluttered home and our new office space. This was the first cleaning since we had our clutter removed. It was the culmination of a month of sorting, sifting and letting go.

I had my chiropractic treatment with Dr. Lizzie this afternoon. I felt ripples of energy flow through me melting away all of the stress in my life continuing to facilitate healing from the effects of paralytic polio and trauma. During my afternoon meditation, I integrated the treatment into mind, body and soul listening to the soundtrack from the Heal Documentary.

Running is my therapy, opening the path to problem solving and supporting my resilience in being able to manage stress in my life.

After Tuesday's run, I was renewed mind, body and soul ready to move forward in my life and my adventures as runner girl 1953.

To your health and wellness
From my heart to yours
Mary

My healing journey using the power of visualization is featured in David R. Hamilton's book, "How Your Mind Can Heal Your Body-Anniversary Edition." It's available on Amazon.


Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):


***Coming Soon - The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953***
The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953 takes you on Mary McManus’ healing odyssey from a wheelchair to the finish line of the 2009 Boston Marathon and beyond. After the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome in December 2006, Mary got still and asked for Divine Guidance. She harnessed the power of her mind to heal her body, feverishly writing poetry in which she imagined herself healthy, whole and free from the shackles of her youth. Mary’s quest to heal her life led her to the sport of running that tested her mettle while fueling her journey of transformation from a survivor of childhood paralytic polio and severe trauma at the hands of family members to a woman who embodies faith, grace under fire, courage, determination, endurance and resilience. Running became a way of life for Mary. As you’ll discover in “The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953” nothing, not even a serious knee injury in December of 2014 could stop her on the roads or in her life. Mary’s story is one that will leave you cheering for the underdog and discovering the meaning of different ability as Mary overcame every challenge that life presented to her.






No comments:

Post a Comment