Saturday, April 29, 2017

The Anticipatory Joy of Healing! Focus on the Healing Not on the Wound!



Ever since the diagnosis of Post-Polio syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease by Western Medicine standards ten years ago, I have been on a quest to heal my life from the effects of paralytic polio and trauma.

Creating a new reality began with my writing poetry starting with the poem, "Running the Race" in February of 2007 as I faced a grim diagnosis, a poor prognosis and an uncertain future in life and in my career as an award winning social worker at the VA.

I did a wonderful job harnessing the power of my imagination through writing poetry to create a new reality for myself seeing myself running unencumbered and free, practicing an attitude of gratitude, allowing joy to flow AS IF everything I yearned for - reclaiming my life unshackled from the pain of my past - was in existence in my current reality. I was in a leg brace, using a wheelchair at times for mobility; had never run a day in my life and was experiencing chronic pain and fatigue. I was depressed and anxious but when I wrote poetry I lived in the world I wanted to experience.

I worked so hard to heal mind, body and soul from the ravages of having contracted paralytic polio at age 5 followed by 9 years of unrelenting abuse and torture at the hands of family members beginning at the age of 8 years old. I sought out healers and did my absolute best to take the best of what they could offer me but everything fell short especially after the added stress of my nephew's suicide on 3/4/2011 and the traumatic events of 4/15/13.

A very serious knee injury turned into the greatest blessing of my life! All that I set forth in motion through the power of my pen, my Divining Rod for healing began to manifest in the wake of that knee injury in December of 2014.

First I met a chiropractor healer, Dr. Ryan J. Means. He was the one who urged me to read Dr. Joe Dispenza's book, "You Are the Placebo," Candace Pert, Ph.D.'s book, "Everything you need to know to feel Go(o)d" and to watch the movie, "What the bleep do we know...."

It was exactly what I needed!

There is also exhilaration to experience the transformation and the easing of the pain focusing on the healing not on the wounds!

I feel this incredible stirring in my soul to experience this power of creation and transformation from a survivor of paralytic polio and trauma to a whole, healthy, vibrant, radiant woman being able to now heal.

I could probably go to a doctor and get a diagnosis of Thoracic Outlet Syndrome or a resurgence of the cervical spine disease that caused radiating pain down my arm or carpel tunnel syndrome that was diagnosed on an EMG 10 years ago and nerve damage from the initial polio virus or some kind of "itis" in my elbow. Instead, I choose to harness the power of Divine Intelligence within me. Whenever I begin to doubt and there are times when the pain is quite intense, I think about that wound on my nose and remember how Dr. Joe healed the fractures in his spine after a devastating accident - yet an accident that would define his life's purpose and his work.



Having the goal of running my 3rd CONSECUTIVE Bermuda Half Marathon is also a powerful stimulant for healing and leaves me with little time to focus on the pain and the wounds. Instead I experience the anticipatory joy of feeling only the soreness that comes with training, being able to get stronger and continue to build confidence memorizing this new self healed from the pain and horror of the past.

Go the distance with strength and courage!
~Mary


Be sure to visit my newly designed website at marymcmanus.com

My latest book, 'Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance' is available on Amazon chronicling my journey to health and wellness as a survivor of paralytic polio and trauma and a woman who refused to quit!



No comments:

Post a Comment