Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Going the Distance: When I said goodbye to the medical model ...




At my last dental cleaning, the hygienist asked me about when I had my last colonoscopy, my last mammogram, was my primary care physician the one I had listed in my record....I took a deep breath and let her know that I walked away from the medical model several years ago. I did meet a wonderful nurse practitioner at MGH who honored my wish about 5 years ago to just have some blood work done and to have a physical exam but no preventive exams. I could tell that my hygienist got a little nervous but she was quite skilled in saying, "How come? You just had enough?"

I participated in Spaulding Rehab's Aquatics Therapy class for a couple of years. It served a wonderful purpose but the day I was in the women's locker room getting lectured to about my lack of commitment to the medical model, I knew it was time to move on.

In December of 2014, I suffered a very serious knee injury. Lack of cross training, working with an ineffective massage therapist,not being mindful of how much I was pushing my body and most importantly of all, having the residuals of trauma stuck in my body were all factors contributing to the injury. I went back to the physiatrist at Spaulding Rehab's International Rehab Center for Polio for an MRI and treatment plan. After two sessions with the physical therapist from hell, and the Universe blessing me with the gift of the presence of Dr. Ryan Means, a chiropractor, coming into my life, I walked away from the medical model. It was a slow process that seemed to happen all of a sudden.

Dr. Ryan turned me onto the work of Dr. Joe Dispenza.


Western Medicine's answer to my dilemma was that I was dealing with Post-Polio Syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease.

I know that a lot of people fear for me that I have not had my screenings or haven't had a complete physical in many years now. But this is the choice I have made given my experience with the medical model and what I know to be true for me and quantum healing. Fortunately I have a few wonderful physicians in my circle and know that if I did need anything I could always turn to them for guidance and assistance.

What I do know is that I have grown a new gastroc muscle, dissolved bone spurs, reversed degenerative osteoarthritis in my left knee and leg; I am making new neuromuscular connections to heal the effects of paralytic polio and healing the symptoms of post traumatic stress disorder.

In yesterday's Washington Post, Tom Brady talks about his rejection of the NFL's medical culture. He partnered with a massage therapist, made nutritional changes, practices yoga and meditation.

After being told repeatedly, as a survivor of paralytic polio, that if I used it I would lose it, whatever was lost was lost forever without any hope of regaining functioning and that I was destined for a more rapid aging process because of my compromised neurological system I said goodbye to the medical model.

And hello to harnessing the power of Divine Intelligence within me, to meditation, to leaving the past behind and falling in love with how I will feel when all of this is cleaned out and the wounds are completely healed and being oh so very deeply grateful for the miracle of healing and transformation in my life in this very moment.

To your health and wellness,
~Mary

Be sure to check out my latest book, "Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance," now available on Amazon






No comments:

Post a Comment