Friday, September 22, 2017

Run Bermuda! Run Happy! Like a Boss - It's All About Attitude!


As I move forward in healing my life from the effects of paralytic polio and trauma and in the wake of the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome almost 11 years ago in December, I am able to embody a sense of strength, empowerment, being the boss of my own life and allowing the full manifestation of my transformation to come into being. Life has a way sometimes of presenting challenges that end up chipping away at my sense of worth and who I really am. I can easily lose sight of what my mission, passion and purpose is now that I am retired. I've come to realize that some of the choices I made in recent years came from that place of unworthiness and tolerating behaviors in others that should have been stopped dead in their tracks. The important thing is that I was able to move on from those people and situations and arrive at this moment in my life.

As I donned my 2009 Boston Marathon jacket {and here's a Flashback Friday photo of me coming down Comm. Ave and when Team McManus crossed the finish line}:


on this cool rainy morning here in Boston and walked into Peet's Coffee to get a cup of decaf coffee, I walked with attitude. Rather than feeling weighed down by the external circumstances in my life, I reflected on my incredible resilience to have lived through what I lived through as a child and adolescent; not allowing the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome to define me or defy me and the strength and grace I have exhibited in supporting our daughter in her recovery from severe depression and anxiety.



Tomorrow Team McManus takes on 9.5 miles on our training run on the road to Bermuda Half Marathon III.

I run at my own pace and like a boss, run my own race.

In the time it takes many to complete a full marathon, I complete a half marathon. While I'm working on my pace, I'm also working on my attitude.

It's quite the miracle that I am running at all and that I am going the distance of a half marathon for the third year in a row.

It's quite the miracle that I am not in a wheelchair as was predicted back in December of 2006 and that I am as healthy and fit as I am especially at almost 64 years old.

I am blessed by grace and deeply grateful for my strong faith that has carried me through every trial and tribulation since I was 5 years old when I contracted paralytic polio.

Despite all of the little reminders of how this body survived paralytic polio, trauma and over 25 surgeries, I continue to go the distance and build strength and endurance.

I straighten my crown like a boss and remind myself that it's all about attitude and how I perceive myself!


9.5 miles on tap tomorrow for this resilient Superhero and my fellow Superhero teammates. The weather forecast looks favorable and every mile we deposit in the Bank of Bermuda during favorable weather is a gift. We look forward to our time together, unplugged and for the joy in the journey.

Go the distance with strength and courage,
Mary

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):

No comments:

Post a Comment