Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Going the Distance: Countdown to Bermuda: I've Got This! Embracing Taper Madness!



My body needs a run ... a long run of 13.1 miles but I know this time of rest, hydration and fueling is so important as I countdown to my second CONSECUTIVE Bermuda Half Marathon. I'm so blessed with a village that is supporting me, reminding me that I've got this. I am so well trained and there is no need to fret over any little twinges that happen in my body.


Going on a race-cation adds an extra umph to taper madness as I obsess over packing and getting to the airport on time. A mind that has been tampered with by trauma is especially vulnerable to worry and feeling angst and anxiety fearing the worst. Without my medicine, and running is my medicine, I work a little harder to remember who I am; a woman transformed - factory new free from the shackles of the past. I replay that last 12 mile long run in torrential rain with a cold wind. It was an incredible confidence booster since it's going to be at least 30 degrees warmer and even if it rains (there's only a 40% chance of rain - yes - incessantly checking weather forecast - guilty) it will only add to the sense of adventure.

Two more sleeps and we will be heading to Logan International Airport. I've got a checklist for Wednesday night and Thursday morning. I am giddy as a school girl one minute and the next minute I am overwhelmed with emotion. I feel anxious and tight one minute and then relaxed, content and at ease. Fortunately I have a steadfast partner in Tom who reminds me that I cannot add any more clothes to the clothes I've already set aside to pack, that everything will go smoothly and that I will run that Half Marathon on Sunday. Of course he has his version of taper madness going on since he is running the Bermuda Half Challenge! But after 40 years of being together, we complement each other well.

Two more sleeps until Bermuda. Five more sleeps until Team McManus toes the starting line of their second CONSECUTIVE Bermuda Half Marathon. Ten years since the diagnosis of post polio syndrome and two years since the diagnosis of a knee that was going to need a total knee replacement and no more running!

What a journey! So blessed to be able to heal my life in the wake of the one two punch of paralytic polio and trauma and be Bermudaful bound!

To your health and wellness,
~Mary



No comments:

Post a Comment