Thursday, February 22, 2018

Just For The Health of It - I Can Do It!



When I woke up yesterday morning I was feeling out of sorts. I realized that it was quite a week with Ruth Anne's hospitalization for an acute episode of depression and the weeks that led up to it where she needed more support and guidance. I wanted to turn off the alarm and go back to sleep. My body seemed to absorb the emotional shock of it all and the last thing I wanted to do was to get my strength training workout on.

I could have listened to my body but I know how powerful the mind is in health, wellness and well being. I couldn't give in to those feelings of exhaustion and physical pain. I knew they would pass if I did not give them more energy and attention. I got still and began the day as Tom and I always do - with a meditation. I began to feel a little better although still sore and stiff. I stretched and used my massage stick.

I knew that I needed to just keep moving forward. Out came our home gym equipment:


along with my training journal to track our core work and strength training routine.

By the time I finished our workout, I was ready to enjoy a nutritious breakfast and felt energized to start my day.

I went through my journal and old blog to pull out content for my new book, "The Adventures of Runnergirl1953."

I let the creative juices flow through me and the Divine to inspire how I am going to put the book together.

Tom works from home on Wednesdays. It was a treat to be able to have his lunch hour together and share an afternoon smoothie.

I don't have any events on the race calendar. I'm looking at the Michael Aselton 5K in May on Cape Cod which was the race that reunited Team McManus as we began our training for the Bermuda Half Marathon.

My training now is just for the health of it. I'm excited to focus on speed rather than endurance for now and I also bask in the accomplishment of having run 3 consecutive Bermuda Half Marathons! Bear in mind that I did so despite having been told in December of 2014 that I needed to stop running or cap my distance if I continued to run and that I'd need a total knee replacement in a few years.

I feel that it's a new starting line in my training as I recover from training for 3 half marathons in as many years and move forward in my journey to heal the effects from childhood paralytic polio and trauma with renewed fervor and passion even if some days are more difficult than others to fire up the motivation.

As I have with every challenge I have ever faced in my life, I know that I must and can do it!

To your health and wellness
From my heart to yours,
Mary

Proud to be a part of Friends of Blue Diamond Athletic Displays, Inc. Be sure to visit us at Booth 758 during Boston Marathon Weekend.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):




No comments:

Post a Comment