Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Let's see what this body can do...



After being discharged from Spaulding Rehab Outpatient Care in July of 2007, my body knew that I needed something more than the rehab exerccise program Spaulding gave me. In October I met a personal trainer, Janine Hightower and I wondered if maybe this body could get a little stronger. I couldn't even complete the initial evaluation with her yet she was incredibly compassionate and caring and believed that I was too young, at the age of 53, to not be able to get off of a couch or a low toilet seat and to be as deconditioned as I was. When I asked her if there was something we could do to help me she said let's see what this body can do. When I asked her do you think I really can get stronger she replied with Henry Ford's famous quote, "Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right." So I decided to believe I could but it was a hard sell to myself. Fortunately, Janine had enough faith for the two of us that lifted me out of my leg brace, ditching a wheelchair and getting to the finish line of the 2009 Boston Marathon.

Last year, after a serious knee injury, I had to find out once again what this body could do. At first I was discouraged and timid about seeing what this body could do. The Universe and my fiery Spirit would not let me stop...



I was blessed to meet Dr. Ryan J. Means, a healer, chiropractor in February of 2015 shortly after a serious knee injury,

Yesterday during my cross training in the pool, I did "sprints" of laps using different strokes. I increased my reps of strength training in the pool. I have increased time holding plank, crunches and sit ups and increased weight for leg lifts and clams. I am going slowly and mindfully but I am pushing myself.

And my body is sore. There are times when I am beyond sore and I do feel pain. Sometimes muscles spasm and I can feel where the effects of trauma and paralytic polio are still stuck in my body.

I am also keenly aware of what is going on in my body and I have total confidence in my body's tremendous capacity to heal.

During my meditation I am able to go back to the source of the pain or spasm and intervene to create a new body. I can harness my imagination to counter the adverse effects of paralytic polio and violence.

I am gaining momentum in my healing journey. I am gaining strength and confidence and so excited to experience the joy of running, of working out, of testing and challenging myself and of seeing just what this 62 year old body once ravaged by paralytic polio, violence and 25 surgeries can do.

To your health and wellness,
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment