Friday, July 28, 2017

Going the Distance: On Phantom Pains, Puzzles, Patience, and Persistence



As I crossed the finish line of 10 years on my healing odyssey this past May, a new starting line of healing has begun! After a serious knee injury in December of 2014, I was blessed to meet Dr. Ryan J. Means, a healer chiropractor who turned me onto the work of Dr. Joe Dispenza, Dr. Candace Pert, What the bleep do we know and set ablaze in me what I already knew...that I am the placebo and we can change the body by thought alone!

There are times when I feel so impatient in healing the effects of paralytic polio and trauma. I experience what I call phantom pains both in my body and in my heart from the experiences of my past. Rather than them owning me I can own them and bring compassion and healing energy to the tender areas that still need healing mind, body and soul.

I recall the words of Candace Pert in her book, 'Everything you need to know to feel Go(o)d' as I begin this new starting line of my healing odyssey. She talks about how our thoughts create our biology; how we interpret sensations in our body is how our body will respond. I choose to interpret everything I experience as being in the service of healing.

Listening to Dr. Joe Dispenza's meditation every night, "Rest and Renew" helps Team McManus to create new neural pathways to heal whatever needs to be healed through his powerful guided meditation. His phrase from "You Are the Placebo", "Focus on the wave, not on the particle" reminds me to look at the miracle of my healing and how this process has powerful momentum now.

As Dr. Joe reminds us every night through the meditation, "Gratitude - the ultimate state of receivership." I am grateful and imprint every moment of feeling a sense of peace, healing and well being in mind, body and soul!



By adopting the pace of nature - patience, I am enjoying the process of creating complete healing in my life now.



Coincidentally, this image came up in my Facebook memory this morning:


I am reconditioning my body to a new mind; a mind and heart that knows I deserve to be treated with the utmost respect and care. Anyone who does not appreciate me, my gifts, my time, my talents and my treasures cannot occupy space in my life or my mind. I am reconditioning my body to a mind that believes in goodness, happiness, peace, equanimity, compassion and love believing deep in my soul that I never deserved what happened to me as a child or adolescent. I am rewiring myself to experience the joy, wholeness and strength in mind, body and soul that I have forged out of the horror of my past. I am invincible and unstoppable! It's uncomfortable to make the shift, but as an endurance runner, I know how to find comfort in the discomfort.

And it does take time and patience!

In addition to coloring as an evening activity, we are working on a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle.

Talk about adopting the pace of nature ....

It took a few weeks to study the puzzle, organize the pieces, harness the power of patience to begin to gain momentum in putting it all together. We had moments of frustration and saying, "We should have tried a 500 piece puzzle to start." Calling upon our training as endurance runners, we know how to get through frustration and "tough miles" on the road and in life.

Last night we were amazed at how things came together and the top and beginning of the sides are now in place:


It takes patience and persistence to move forward in healing after the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease by Western Medicine standards, having experienced severe trauma for 9 years at the hands of family members and having "life happen" as it does to all of us.

Tomorrow Team McManus takes to the roads to run 6.5 miles again and slowly build our miles on the road to Bermuda Marathon Weekend. We begin our next 5 day training cycle.

There will be phantom pains and challenges, the soreness that comes with training for a Half Marathon along the way but with faith, patience and persistence, reminding myself I AM the placebo and everything I need is inside of me, I go the distance!

Go the distance with strength and courage!
~Mary

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):




No comments:

Post a Comment