Friday, April 7, 2017

Reclaim Advantage! Reclaim Life! Countdown to Boston



It's a glorious day here in Boston. The sun is shining. The temperatures are warming up. The Red Sox have had their Opening Day in Fenway and next weekend throngs of visitors and runners descend on my City.

"It's like Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's all rolled into one," said Jeffrey Spratt,MT.

There's still a bit of bitterness to Boston Marathon Weekend as the anniversary of 4/15/13 once again looms on the horizon. So much healing has happened and so much has been reclaimed since the tragic events of that day. This year I feel goosebumps and excitement for Boston Marathon Weekend 2017.

While it's a time to always remember and honor those whose lives were lost and all those whose lives were affected by 4/15/13, it's also a time to celebrate resilience!

I was blessed to meet the man who would help me reclaim my advantage and reclaim my life in the wake of paralytic polio, severe childhood trauma and being across the street from The Forum in the Mandarin Oriental Hotel when the 2nd bomb exploded on One Boston Day 4/15/15.

From Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance:

I decided that I needed to put out the call to the Universe for a new massage therapist. At 4 in the morning the day before One Boston Day I was moved to see who would be volunteering for chair massage. The Universe was orchestrating everything as it was meant to be. I checked the flyer and there it was “Chair Massage – Jeffrey Spratt”. I googled him and went to his website. “Oh my goodness he’s on the Cape. Oh no that’s just where he does part of his CISM work. What is CISM anyway? Oh he’s trained in trauma. Where is his practice? Oh in the Seaport Hotel. Oh gosh I’d have to mortgage the house to pay for him. Oh here are the rates. Oh wow that’s what I am paying now.”

I managed to fall back to sleep for a few hours and decided I would take a leap of faith and make an appointment to see him.

“Wave Health and Fitness this is Roy speaking. How may I help you?”

He told me that I would be absolutely delighted that I chose to come to Spratt Muscular Therapies. He encouraged me to introduce myself to Jeffrey on One Boston Day. “He’s a tall guy with grey hair. You won’t be able to miss him,” he said. “And we’ll see you Sunday.”

I was blessed to share a table at Old South Church with Dr. Ryan who was offering free chiropractic consultation to survivors and families and providing education about wellness and chiropractic care. It was heart warming to spend the morning side by side with him. When the flow of people coming through slowed down, I asked Ryan if I could go upstairs and meet Jeffrey. “Of course go right ahead,” he said to me. “I’ll watch your side of the table.”

As I introduced myself he said, "Oh you're the one Roy asked me about." I asked Roy if Jeffrey used unscented products explaining that I had a sensitivity to scents and fragrances. “I don’t know,” Roy replied and quickly added, “I’ll ask him and get back to you within the hour.” Jeffrey warmly took my hand in his two hands and said what a pleasure it was to meet me. “How are you doing” he asked. I took a deep breath and told him I just needed to make it through the day. I told him where I was on Marathon Monday. He asked me if I wanted to get in the chair and I told him I needed to get back to my table. "We'll talk more about this when I see you on Sunday," he said to me and then said, "Let me give you a hug." It would be the first of many, many hugs shared between us.


Boston Marathon Weekend is a time to remember the joy of my own Boston Marathon run and how I went from the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease to the finish line of the 2009 Boston Marathon.



It's a great time to remember when Meb won in 2014 reclaiming the finish line with an American champion:



It's going to be a very exciting weekend for Team McManus as we reunite with friends from Bermuda Marathon Weekend. Tom had the opportunity to run next to Bart Yasso for part of the Bermuda 10K. We celebrated with Bart and Trish Trout, who is running Boston for Dana Farber this year at the Southampton Princess after party.


Runner's World has a pop up store with all stores of incredible activities.



Bermuda Marathon Weekend Race Director, Anthony Raynor, will be at the Expo.

And speaking of the Expo, our Blue Diamond Athletic Display family is going to be at the Expo! It's hard to believe it's been a year since we last saw them. They are the official medal display holder of the Boston Marathon.



Because Tom works for Boston College, he has a long weekend off and we are looking forward to enjoying the weekend festivities together!

In my role as Communications and PR Director, I assist with scheduling appointments for Spratt Muscular Therapies. This time of year is exhilarating as I get to chat with runners in taper mode and experience all that the Boston Marathon experience has to offer a runner.

Yes Jeffrey, it is like Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's all rolled into one as we countdown to the 2017 Boston Marathon!

To your health and wellness,
~Mary











No comments:

Post a Comment