Friday, March 10, 2017

Reclaim Advantage! Reclaim Life! Reclaiming My Body!



The above two quotes are from Wilma Rudolph, Gold Medalist and polio survivor. She was blessed to have the fierceness of a mother's love and surrounded by the love of her siblings to help her recover from polio and go on to become the first American woman to win three gold medals in track and field at a single Olympics.

I, on the other hand, had a mother and grandmother who stood and glared at me unable to/unwilling to care for me. I would have to wait until my father and/or grandfather came home to meet my basic needs. To add insult to injury, my mother who was addicted to prescription pain medication would say to my father and grandfather, "Oh don't bother with her. Just leave her there to die."

My spirit was fierce and I was touched by grace having a vision of a Being who reeled me up to meet Him in a well bucket. It was an out of body experience and I chose life even though I was in a pretty precarious situation to say the least.

At age 8, shortly after coming out of a leg brace and working so hard with my physical therapist earth angel Miss Holly and my physiatrist Dr. Moskowitz, my father began to sexually abuse me. As every sexual predator says to its prey, "If you tell anyone I will kill you." So there I was trying to will my body back to health yet carrying the burden of the secret and the pain of abuse within me.

To survive I dissociated from my body and developed my intellectual prowess. While I survived, the years of self loathing and dissociating from my body caused my body to shut down in December of 2006 and I was diagnosed with Post-Polio Syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease.

It was a wake up call and for these past 10 years I have been on a healing quest.

On April 19, 2015, my healing odyssey took a magnificent miraculous turn for the better as I found my way to Jeffrey Spratt,MT, pioneer of the Spratt Method of Muscular Therapy. Each week his method of muscular therapy coaxes my muscles and nerves back to health - factory new - as we like to say.

Sometimes I get so frustrated. As Tom jogs easily beside me, I have to push myself to achieve a 16 minute/mile pace (although I'm getting my speed back after training for the Half Marathon). Five days a week I am working to my maximum capacity to rebuild muscles and nerves. But then I remember the words of Dr. Joe Dispenza:



I look at this beautiful scar on my nose. It took years to finally heal and most people would have wondered why I did not see a doctor to have it evaluated. I knew what was causing it to fester and then scab over time after time. With Jeffrey's warm healing hands and intention for my healing combining with my powerful intention to heal, we were able to heal the wound without any Western Medicine intervention.

I can feel all the areas that are burning with healing sensations as new neuromuscular connections are getting fired up. I can also feel the enormity of the abuse, know that it is no longer this vast wasteland of not knowing what happened to me because I had to block it out to survive and most importantly of all, I can feel the heal.

Jeffrey's masterful technique is coaxing everything back to the way it would have been if I would have been given a chance to heal after contracting paralytic polio. When there are moments without pain and with stillness from the tremors I focus and imprint those sensations knowing that there are more and more moments of healing manifesting into physical reality.

Unlike when I worked with Miss Holly and Dr. Moskowitz, I can share everything that happened to me with Jeffrey. In addition to the muscular therapy work that brings profound healing to the effects of paralytic polio, Jeffrey partners with me to heal the emotional, physical and spiritual wounds from the horror I lived through. It's a redo - a 2nd chance - the total grace. The passage of time doesn't matter! All that matters is now and that now I finally have the opportunity to reclaim my advantage, reclaim my life AND reclaim every square inch of my body!

To your health and wellness,
~Mary

My latest book, 'Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance' is available on Amazon chronicling my journey to health and wellness as a survivor of paralytic polio and trauma and a woman who refused to quit!

No comments:

Post a Comment