Friday, March 3, 2017

Reclaim Advantage! Reclaim Life! What's Next?




When my friend and Race Director Paul Collyer posted this announcement on Facebook, I had to rethink my running goals for 2018:


2018 will be the 40th anniversary for Hyannis Marathon,Half Marathon,10Km & Marathon Team Relay.....lots of new things in 2018.......10km will be on Saturday so that we can have a bigger race and will be tuned in towards the M crowd aka 21 to 30 kids..with cash prizes to also be attractive to the swifty..and a funky award to those who do 10km on saturday and half or marathon on sunday....expo expanded a day to open on friday with a bigger and better 5km fun run and pizza and beer party...the pasta dinner on sat night will have a movie component on our 40 year history, Bill Rodgers and other special guest....we are canning the 4 hour awards awards ceremony and will mail out except for cash prizes and the replacement will be a live band in ballroom and beer and wine festival.....and thats a start.....stay tuned for official announcement with barnstable police in April.....Hyannis Marathon will be making a $5000 donation to its drone program.


In 2016 I ran the Bermuda Half Marathon and then the Hyannis 10K but because it's the 40th Anniversary of Hyannis Marathon Weekend and I want to be in top form, I decided that the 10K would my first goal race of 2018 and then I'd train for my Half.

I entered Tom into the lottery for the NYC Marathon for his 65th birthday but he didn't get in. He wants to run another marathon and this is the year he is going to do it. It's all working out really well. He won't have to train with me for my January Half Marathon and can focus on his Marathon Training for the Fall and then we'll train together for a Half Marathon in October of 2018.

I googled Half Marathons that are all pace friendly and then sent a Facebook message to the Maine Marathon.

Hi Mary. Yes, walkers are welcome in both the marathon and half marathon. We typically have about 100 walkers for the half marathon, and 15-20 who finish in 4+ hours. And since the half marathon is concurrent with the marathon, there will be many others still on the course at the same time as you.


Now that is my kind of a race!

Tom can use the Maine Marathon as his goal race for 2017. He is in a new age group now after turning 65 yesterday which means a new Boston Qualifier time. Who knows right?

Team McManus celebrated 40 years of being together yesterday since we first met on a blind date. Tomorrow we celebrate our 39th wedding anniversary.

We have goals that we can share together and then our separate goals that are right for each of us as individuals.

What's next? Hyannis 10K in 2018 and then the Maine Half Marathon in Portland in October.

Along the way I am going to continue to heal the once devastating effects of paralytic polio and severe childhood trauma partnering with Jeffrey Spratt, MT whose philosophy of the power of positive touch is:


Since I won't be training for a Half until 2018, I'll have an opportunity to continue to build strength, work on speed and, as we continue to heal and rewire my system, see just what this body can do! It will be my third CONSECUTIVE Half Marathon. Since partnering with Jeffrey, paralytic polio and severe child abuse are fading farther and farther away in the distance. I've got positive momentum as I reclaim my advantage and reclaim my life in most amazing ways. It's been 10 years since the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease where I was told I needed to prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair.

I am every excited to experience what's next!

To your health and wellness,
~Mary

My latest book, 'Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance' is available on Amazon chronicling my journey to health and wellness as a survivor of paralytic polio and trauma and a woman who refused to quit!




No comments:

Post a Comment