Thursday, March 16, 2017

Reclaim Advantage! Reclaim Life! On Champions and Heroes - Reclaiming my Spirit!



During yesterday's powerful and transformational massage therapy session with Jeffrey Spratt,MT he told me about the movie, "Eddie the Eagle."



He told me that I was his Olympic champion. He also tells me that I am his hero. Jeffrey knows how much I struggle and work so hard to overcome the effects of paralytic polio and horrific child/adolescent abuse that followed for 9 years. Since partnering with Jeffrey in April of 2015, I am able to experience the struggle without a relapse of what was often times debilitating fatigue and pain, and without injury. I am able to work out and train 5 days a week. He knows the pain I still endure but that it's manageable thanks to his trail blazing Spratt Method of Muscular Therapy and compassionate presence. He acknowledges and tells me he is in awe of my indomitable Spirit.

Although Eddie the Eagle finished last in both of his events in the 1988 Winter Olympics, he was the embodiment of the Olympic spirit.

Jeffrey also knew the story of when I was 8 years old at Badger Day Camp. At the end of the summer, Badger held its own Olympics for campers. One of my counselors dear departed Dr. Joe Stetz, who gave up his Olympic dream to become a physician asked me to compete in the Butterfly. I thought he was crazy but he knew exactly what he was doing. He was helping me to cultivate the heart of a champion.

Like Eddie the Eagle, I spent several years in a leg brace after contracting paralytic polio. I knew what it was like to be written off and not given a chance. I too love proving people wrong as I'll be writing about in tomorrow's blog.

Jeffrey and I talked about Wilma Rudolph, polio survivor and Olympic Gold Medalist. Through the power of positive touch with daily massage from her mother and her siblings, and the collective consciousness of her family to help her heal from the devastating effects of paralytic polio, she came out of the leg brace, went on to play basketball and run Track in the off season. In 1960, she became the first American woman to win three gold medals in track and field at a single Olympics.

After I ran the Boston Marathon, people were posting on Facebook and sending me emails that I was their hero. I remember blogging about how I was a reluctant hero not quite understanding the impact that my Boston Marathon run had on people.



Now I do!

In yesterday's massage therapy session, as Jeffrey worked to untangle and bring relief to areas that were tight as a result of my working full time, training 5 days a week and still unearthing and healing the fossilized traumatic memories, I got in touch with how horrible, ugly and unworthy I felt in the face of my parents' betrayal of me. As I cried from the depths of my soul, Jeffrey brought his skilled and caring touch, his warm hands and compassion to help me heal these wounds and unearth the treasure of my Being. My grandmother who tortured me with rituals told me that self praise stinks. Well like so much of what she tried to indoctrinate me with, she was way off base! We need and deserve to celebrate ourselves especially when we triumph over what seems to be insurmountable odds.

As the tears dry and the pain recedes, I am able to, at last, reclaim my advantage, reclaim my life, reclaim my Spirit and celebrate the amazing person I am.

To your health and wellness!
~Mary

My latest book, 'Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance' is available on Amazon chronicling my journey to health and wellness as a survivor of paralytic polio and trauma and a woman who refused to quit!






No comments:

Post a Comment