Saturday, March 25, 2017

Reclaim Advantage! Reclaim Life! No Mud - No Lotus! Reclaiming My Heart!





Do you know the story of The Lotus Flower?

The Story of the Magical Lotus Flower: The lotus flower is one of the most remarkable creations of nature. Its beauty lies in its purity, because this magnificent flower emerges from the dirty and muddy bottom of a pond, yet still remains untouched and unstained by its soiled surroundings.

This notable feat has ensured that the lotus is considered an embodiment of perfection in various Asian religions and cultures, with particular reference to Buddhism and Hinduism. This unique quality is said to symbolize the human who rises from the darkness of the world into a new way of thinking and living.


I've turned a corner in my healing journey. At the end of last Wednesday's massage therapy session with Jeffrey Spratt,MT with whom I have been working for the past two years to heal the effects of paralytic polio and severe childhood trauma, I said, "I feel like the lotus flower who is moving toward the light and experiencing a beautiful transformation." Jeffrey warmly smiled and said, "Congratulations. You made it through the session without needing tissues. Enjoy your post massage bliss."

Of course it was absolutely fine when I needed tissues and I had to take the time to express and attend to triggers while on the table. There was no way to rush the process. The Lotus Flower finds its way to the light and experiences transformation in its own way and its own time. Everyone's journey is in their own time.

After the intense physical and emotional releases during the past two weeks unearthing core memories that were vital to my trauma recovery, it was a blessing to be able to experience many moments of peace and tingles on the massage therapy table. When I did experience fear, I was able to experience and identify what I like to call "anticipatory terror"--a habitual response that was borne out of 9 years of violence against mind, body and soul. It's a terror that comes not so much from the actual event although that's pretty horrific but wondering what was going to happen next. And that's where we trauma survivors habitually get stuck. Jeffrey's powerful positive quality touch was able to help me reset after the release of the anticipatory terror response and I could let go and surrender taking deep breaths. All the weeks and months of Jeffrey telling me that, "It's over. You can let it all go. You're safe." are paying off big dividends. My courage to come out of the mud and go through the murkiness, the muck, the mire and horror of my past is paying big dividends.

As Jeffrey worked with my arms, which is an extension of our heart, I was able to declare that I wanted to reclaim my graceful ballerina arms. I got in touch with my sorrow about my parents, especially my father with whom I missed out on having a father/daughter relationship but perhaps even more important, how he missed out on having a relationship with his daughter! Jeffrey does beautiful heart chakra work and as he placed his warm hands over my heart making a heart shape with his hands, I was moved to take one hand out from underneath the sheet and place it on top of his. He put another hand on top of mine. We were still and breathed together. I was reclaiming my once broken heart.

I just want to note that the phrase "Great achievement has no road map," comes into play here. Jeffrey and I had no idea that his Spratt Method of Muscular Therapy was going to have such a powerful effect on my healing. We both trusted the process and through the power of positive touch and his compassionate presence, awareness and profound healing are created.

New neuromuscular connections are sprouting. Anxiety moves through more quickly and is so much easier to manage. I feel more joy, vitality and vibrancy than I ever have before. And like the lotus flower I move to the light radiating the Truth of my beauty and Being.

To your health and wellness,
~Mary


My latest book, 'Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance' is available on Amazon chronicling my journey to health and wellness as a survivor of paralytic polio and trauma and a woman who refused to quit!

No comments:

Post a Comment