Sunday, March 5, 2017

Reclaim Advantage! Reclaim Life! New Goals - New Training Plan - Reclaiming Strength!



In a recent blog post I talked about how, since partnering with Jeffrey Spratt,MT who pioneered the Spratt Method of Muscular Therapy, we are building a new foundation mind, body and soul.

The severe child abuse I suffered at the hands of family members for 9 years (just 3 years after contracting paralytic polio at age 5) resulted in layers of fossilized traumatic memories and an inability for my body to heal after paralytic polio.

I remember how, after running the 2009 Boston Marathon, I had to stop working with my personal trainer. I literally did not have it in me to continue working the program of gaining strength once I stopped training for a marathon. The usual ebb and flow of training is that while building distance, one backs off from increasing strength training and then once the endurance event is finished, one continues to build strength moving to higher and higher levels of fitness.

Since I have new goals of running the Hyannis 10K in February of 2018 and then doing the Portland Half Marathon in October, with 5K races in between to give me goals for working on improving speed, I've revamped my training plan.

As I said to Jeffrey before my last treatment, something happens to me when I get on a treadmill. Even though I did a hard run last Wednesday with negative splits, I had to keep lowering the pace during yesterday's 4 mile treadmill run. When once I was so afraid of challenging my body for fear I would break - and many times I did with injuries and recurrence of debilitating pain in different parts of my body - I now train with confidence that I can see just what this body can do and achieve. See the sweat glistening on me after yesterday's 4 miler:



I instinctively knew it was time to increase my plank time from 3:35 to 3:40. I increased reps of Knee to Elbow and Bicycle to 15 reps and I increased my leg weights from 4 lbs to 5 lbs decreasing reps to 8 and will build back up to 12 reps.

I'm on a mission now! He who shall not be named tried to break me. He tried to break my spirit and in many ways he broke my body. Until I was blessed to meet the healing hands and compassionate presence of Jeffrey, my body was broken. Everything was congested and as much as I fired up my brain and harnessed the power of my imagination to feel healthy, whole, free and strong, we had to clear out all the debris in order to make space for me to work out and build muscle. We're building new neuromuscular connections, a new neural net and in the wake of the horror I have room to enjoy the challenges that everybody gets to enjoy when they work out and train. We are rewiring with love.

I won't lie. This is so painful. There is still residue from polio and abuse. There is phantom pain. But then there is the juicy delicious soreness that comes with reclaiming strength. I know that the emotional and physical pain from polio and the abuse will end and I'm so excited to see and experience what's next on this amazing journey. And what an absolute blessing to partner with Jeffrey who is a master muscular therapist, a dear friend now and healer.

True healers know that wellness is the order of the day, so they do not allow themselves, even for a moment, to see anything other than that. So, the power of the healer is in the power to influence the one who needs to be healed into a vibration that allows the healing that they are summoning. (that they could get, even without the healer, but they can get faster with a healer's influence) ~Abraham

The other body workers that I saw believed that they would impose change from the outside in. They also recapitulated the abusive relationship I had with my family members. Jeffrey listens to my body and to me and does whatever is needed WITH ME to help me reclaim my advantage and reclaim my life and now - reclaiming strength in new and wondrous ways!

I was once taunted and teased with "Easy Out Alper" in gym class. Well look out world! McManus is on the move!



To your health and wellness!
~Mary

My latest book, 'Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance' is available on Amazon chronicling my journey to health and wellness as a survivor of paralytic polio and trauma and a woman who refused to quit!



No comments:

Post a Comment