Friday, February 10, 2017

Reclaim Advantage! Reclaim Life! A Celebration of Snow Removal

From "Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance":


That early training served me well as I trained for and ran the 2009 Boston Marathon and in my several running comebacks but it can lead to injury, overdoing it pain, and hitting the wall with an "I can't do another thing" fatigue. I'm not playing with a full deck so to speak in that, as we learned from the results of the MRI, the gastroc muscle on my inner left leg atrophied as a result of "chronic denervation" meaning because of the polio. I know there are other muscles that have atrophied engaging other muscles to do their job. There's a greater likelihood for injury but I believe in playing in the field of infinite possibilities! As I was leaving my appointment with Dr. Rosenberg, his parting words were, "Don't over do it." I teased and said "Me? When have I ever overdone it?" He looked at me and said, "Yeah right."

I've been thinking a lot about how I do manage my life. My life used to manage me as I felt I had no control over what was happening in my body. I have my meltdowns and frustrations especially during winter storms where I have to be especially mindful and careful with what I do but for the most part, I am finding a rhythm and accepting what is while always striving to do more and be more.


I've come a long way since the injury in December 2014 and the above excerpt from my book in February 2015 and an even longer way since I began this healing quest a little more than 10 years ago.

In yesterday's post I talked about how I am pushing the envelope. Only those who risk going too far will know how far they can go.

Since partnering with Jeffrey Spratt,MT I am constantly in awe of the transformation I am experiencing mind, body and soul. I think I may have to write a sequel to Going the Distance! In Wednesday's treatment, I told Jeffrey that I wanted to rinse out the anxiety and the feelings of "Oh sh**" when the phone rings anticipating a disaster, the feelings of overwhelming responsibility for everything and everyone around me and the background noise of having been a survivor of so much abuse, neglect and horror that prevents me from fully reclaiming my advantage and reclaiming my life. Jeffrey worked deep and did these most amazing stretches to open everything up. When he was working on my throat while doing deep heart chakra work that hurt so good, I was able to take his hand and move it away from my throat, put my hand on top of his and say, "I need to reclaim my throat." There were and are so many levels of meaning to that simple gesture.

Blizzard Niko hit us pretty hard here in Brookline. Tom had gone out several times to do clean up but he hadn't cleaned off the car. Early evening, as the winds howled and the snow blew, I donned my boots and told Tom I needed to help him do clean up. Like a boss I trudged through the snow to the car and cleared off almost a foot of snow from the car while our hybrid churned from the inside helping to facilitate the clean up process.

Jeffrey loves me to claim my successes and yesterday was surely a milestone for me. After we cleared out so much gunk from my body on Wednesday and flushed my body from 5 days of intense training, I was able to do something I hadn't been able to do in the past 10 years. It was a celebration of snow removal. It was reclaiming and redemption.

What a blessing to continue to move forward with positive momentum in my health and wellness journey finding strength in the midst of a storm.

To your health and wellness,
~Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment