Monday, February 6, 2017

Reclaim Advantage! Reclaim Life! The Importance of Sharing Our Stories



Before Jeffrey Spratt,MT and I presented our preliminary findings for our research, "The Efficacy of the Spratt Method of Muscular Therapy on Trauma Recovery" the other evening, the person who was going to introduce me said that he wasn't sure if I wanted him to use the word rape in my introduction. "I just said that after contracting paralytic polio you were faced with other difficult challenges." I smiled. He wanted to know how I can be so open and honest about what happened to me and how I can use the word rape. I told him that being a survivor of childhood rape does not define me; it's the tragic truth about what happened to me. I went on to let him know how important it is for me to share my story because it empowers especially other women to come forward, to know that healing and hope is possible and in one instance, a woman who read my first memoir is now in the study healing from her childhood sexual trauma.

The next day Facebook reminded me about a memory of what happened a year ago when I received a letter from a woman in Florida. "It's your first fan mail," Jeffrey said to me after I had opened the letter addressed to me at the office. Here's the link to the blog I wrote about it.

While there were gruesome and grueling events to endure during my childhood and adolescence, my story is not about what happened to me but how I transformed the experience thanks in large part to the life saving transformative massage therapy experience with Jeffrey. He pioneered the Spratt Method of Muscular Therapy and had no idea that it was going to be effective in trauma recovery. We love the phrase from the West Wing, "Great achievement has no road map." Being able to FINALLY heal the effects of paralytic polio and trauma is one of the greatest gifts in my life and it's so vital for me to let others know what is possible; to have the courage to claim what happened to me and then reclaim my advantage and reclaim my life through the power of positive quality touch.

Every week we unearth both the painful memories that were stuck in my body and the treasures of the Truth of who I really am.



In my Introduction to "Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance," I talk about when Frank Shorter disclosed that he experienced severe abuse as a child and through his sharing of his story, others opened up about the abuse they endured. For in fact, keeping the secret, harboring the shame is as traumatic as the original sin as Jeffrey and I call it. I've learned that the sin is not mine and I can now speak all the words and share all of the emotions in the safety, comfort and nurturing space of Jeffrey's treatment room.



We are very excited about the promising early results of our study. Having the courage to speak my Truth and open myself to the possibility of healing, taking the risk one last time to trust a therapist to help me go the distance on my healing journey (or I was going to go it alone after so many failed attempts with body workers and energy healers), we are now on the cutting edge of a new modality to heal trauma.

To answer once again the person who asked me how I could be so open about what happened to me, I quote Maya Angelou:


It's so important to share our stories and to have the courage to speak for that may just be what another needs to spark hope, healing and possibility!

To your health and wellness!
~Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment