Thursday, December 8, 2016

Reclaim Advantage! Reclaim Life! Trauma Recovery #ThankfulThursday



This week Lady Gaga revealed that she was raped at the age of 19. It took her 7 years to reveal her "secret" and she suffers with post traumatic stress disorder. She wrote an open letter about her struggles that was shared in this article on BBC.

I'm doing various modalities of psychotherapy and am on medicine prescribed by my psychiatrist. However, I believe that the most inexpensive and perhaps the best medicine in the world is words. Kind words… positive words… words that help people who feel ashamed of an invisible illness to overcome their shame and feel free. This is how I and we can begin to heal. I am starting today, because secrets keep you sick. And I don't want to keep this secret anymore.

I want to add that the best medicine in the world is the power of positive quality touch that I have been blessed to experience since April of 2015 with Jeffrey Spratt,MT who pioneered the Spratt Method of Muscular Therapy.

When one experiences trauma, as Jeffrey so eloquently explains it, there is a dump of 31 chemicals into the body preparing for the fight/flight response. These chemical reactions leave an imprint in the body. Left untreated, these imprints become fossilized. Over time, as more life happens, they can get buried and wreak havoc in the mind, body and soul and result in what can be crippling symptoms of life after trauma.

We like to say that how Jeffrey discovered that his Spratt Method of Muscular Therapy was effective in healing trauma was a happy accident. He did not set out to treat trauma. He believed in the power of positive touch and his philosophy and intention for massage therapy is, "“Massage Therapy at its finest can be life changing and even life saving, and even at its very basic, massage therapy should be momentum changing.” ~Jeffrey Spratt, MT



But soon trauma survivors were experiencing major shifts in their lives prompting us to investigate "The Efficacy of the Spratt Method of Muscular Therapy on Trauma Recovery". In addition to my anecdotal case study, the two subjects who are participating in the study are having stunning changes in their mood, behavior, outlook on life and overall quality of life.

Jeffrey's compassionate presence along with his unique style of muscular therapy has been a life saver for me in my trauma recovery. It's totally understandable how I kept getting injured and had "relapses" of post polio syndrome given how much baggage I was carrying around.

Before yesterday's treatment with Jeffrey he asked me, "How can I be of service?" Talk about the power of kind and positive words! I was able to share with Jeffrey a powerful and pivotal traumatic memory from my adolescence. I usually share the memories that may surface in between sessions during the treatment (while lying face down on the table). Yesterday I dug deep and found the courage to make eye contact with him as I shared a memory that was like an abscess filled with the pus of toxic emotions and a powerful motivator for many of my behavior patterns. His compassionate presence and total focus on what I had shared along with what I like to call his signature hug set the tone for a transformative profoundly healing massage therapy session.

After the session I felt such a lightness in mind, body and Being and that was after a full week of training for the Bermuda Half Marathon.

There is positive momentum in my ability and confidence in being able to unleash the healing power within me and to regulate my nervous system even in the wake of powerful triggers. The reaction may still happen but rather than have it throw me off balance for what used to be hours or sometimes even days, I can quickly recover and return to a state of equilibrium.

There is a beautiful new neural net growing and getting stronger every day. I am so excited to be editing "Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance," to share with the world that there is hope for trauma recovery and to heal the most horrific events that could befall one individual.



It is exhilarating to experience trauma recovery in my own life and to see how others are healing from trauma thanks to the power of positive quality touch and compassionate presence. It is a journey to reclaim one's advantage and reclaim one's life and experience healing and freedom. It is something every trauma survivor deserves!



Thank you Jeffrey Spratt for pioneering this method and having the courage to walk with trauma survivors as they heal.

To your health and wellness!
~Mary




No comments:

Post a Comment