Saturday, December 17, 2016

Reclaim Advantage! Reclaim Life! Pure Imagination





In "Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance," I ask the questions,
As runners we like love to run and too often forget about that all important cross training work or begrudgingly cross train. I learned the hard way last December, how crucial it is to cross train. It's been almost 6 months and I am now reaping the physical, spiritual and mental rewards of cross training. I must admit it was hard to get started. Each plank, crunch and sit up; every clam and leg lift seemed to be an effort. I had to psych myself up to get into the pool and swim laps. While in the pool at Wave Health on Monday something shifted within me as I focused on the waves, the skylight and my beautiful surroundings. I felt gratitude flood my heart. I asked the Universe, "How did I get here? How did I arrive in this moment cross training for running in this world class hotel where I only pay $10/visit ... where each week I am blessed to experience muscular therapy with Jeffrey transcending and transforming all that went before ... how did I get here ... from a leg brace, a wheelchair, a diagnosis of a progressive neuromuscular disease, Spaulding Rehab and Adaptive Sports feeling stuck in my body and that everything was an effort to now..."


Do you know what the answer is? Imagination - Pure Imagination that came through my pen as I wrote poems about running unencumbered and free, reclaiming my life, dancing in puddles without a leg brace like Gene Kelly in Singin' In the Rain. Why I even foreshadowed my 2009 Boston Marathon run in the poem, "Running the Race."

As I'm editing Going the Distance I realize that the previous so called therapists I worked with did not have imagination. They only saw - literally - saw me as I was and believed that they could bring about change from the outside in using these methods that followed strict protocols.

When I met Dr. Ryan J. Means, he subscribed to all possibilities and to quantum healing. He saw beyond my knee injury and effects from paralytic polio and trauma to seeing me as healthy, whole and healed and brought forth his skill as a doctor of chiropractic medicine and partnered with me to bring about my vision for healing.

And then I met Jeffrey Spratt,MT. Talk about a man of vision and imagination! He pioneered his very own method of muscular therapy aptly called the Spratt Method of Muscular Therapy. "What leg are we rehabbing?" he asked me during my first massage therapy session with him on 4/19/15.

He embodies the essence of a true healer:
True healers know that wellness is the order of the day, so they do not allow themselves, even for a moment, to see anything other than that. So, the power of the healer is in the power to influence the one who needs to be healed into a vibration that allows the healing that they are summoning. (that they could get, even without the healer, but they can get faster with a healer's influence) ~Abraham

He has been supporting and encouraging me every mile on this magical journey to health and wellness. Together we visualize myself as factory new being healed from the effects of paralytic polio and trauma. His hands help me to create the masterpiece of my life reclaiming my advantage and reclaiming my life through the power of positive quality touch! One day he humbly said to me, "Our hands are the tools we use to release the body’s natural capacity to heal.”


Today we completed 12 miles at Wave Health and Fitness; 8 miles on the "dreadmill" and 4 on the bike.



Dreary dreadmill miles watching the snow fall outside the large picture windows at Wave were made merry and bright by harnessing the power of our imagination. We visualized the course for the Bermuda Half Marathon happening in just 26 days! We anticipated how we will be greeted at The Rosedon and imagined our evening after our triumphant return to Bermuda for my second CONSECUTIVE Bermuda Half Marathon. I've been chatting with one of the Bermudians on Facebook about where to dine the evening after the race. She told us that the place to be is the South P - the Fairmount Southampton Princess. We imagined how special it's going to be to head over to the South Shore where we haven't been in years and imagined breathing in the tropical breezes with the satisfaction of Tom having run the Bermuda Triangle Half Challenge and me having run my second CONSECUTIVE Bermuda Half Marathon.

So getting back to my original question that I posed in Going the Distance? How did I get here? How am I trained to run another half marathon having shed the diagnosis of post polio syndrome and creating a whole, healthy body and Being no longer shackled to the effects of paralytic polio and trauma?

The answer - pure imagination and partnering with wonderful healers who support me in my creative process!

To your health and wellness,
~Mary



No comments:

Post a Comment