Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Reclaim Advantage! Reclaim Life! What "they" said .... The power of the work! .. The power of one!




As I meditated this morning I wondered if sharing my healing journey and preparing to run my 2nd CONSECUTIVE Bermuda Half Marathon seemed trivial in the wake of the outcome of the election. Regardless of whether or not your candidate won, it is important to acknowledge that the whole process of this year's presidential election was traumatic. The bitterness, the anger, the shouting back and forth, the fear and the divisiveness among friends and family wreaked havoc on all of us.

Did my story matter? Do I make a difference - after all I'm only one person.


I was blessed to be inspired to post Fred Rogers post and Margaret Mead's post on Facebook and found this article, "What should we tell the children?"

It's had 5 shares already and the day has just begun with people saying thank to you me for sharing it. They tagged loved ones and teachers and thus the ripple effect of positive momentum begins.

Ten years ago next month I was diagnosed with post polio syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease, and told to be prepared to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair, possibly needing a feeding tube because the left side of my esophagus was sluggish and was part of the overall decline that happens to polio survivors. They recommended a sleep apnea machine and I was admonished with "If you use it you will lose it."

They said....they were the experts....they painted a certain and bleak future for me.

I had other ideas. I got still and asked for Divine Guidance. The answer came, as it always does when we get still and listen rather than react out of fear, through my pen; what would become my divining rod for healing as I imagined a life for myself very different than the one being predicted with absolute certainty. I went on to run the 2009 Boston Marathon!

Two years ago next month (is there a pattern with December here?) I suffered a serious knee injury. Once again they said that I should not/could not/would not ever run again but if I did it would only be for short distances. They recommended I go through the post polio clinic again to see how they might be able to help me because surely there was decline in my future. There was a total knee replacement on the horizon given how my left knee had torn miniscus, degenerative changes from osteoarthritis, bone spurs and degenerative changes from reconstructive leg surgery over 20 years ago.

I bought what they said for about a minute and then I remembered all that I had hoped for, yearned for, wrote about in my poetry about complete healing. I feverishly wrote poetry and reread the poetry I had written in which I imagined healers, reclaiming my life and running unencumbered and free.

The Universe delivered with Dr. Ryan Means, a chiropractor and Jeffrey Spratt, MT, a muscular therapist who pioneered his own method of muscular therapy.

Last week I was questioning whether or not I could go the distance with my 2nd consecutive Bermuda Half Marathon. There was a lot weighing down on me and a lot working its way through me healing the effects of paralytic polio and violence. After a ShakeOut (TM) Massage and Monday and a 90 minute massage therapy session with Jeffrey on Wednesday, I felt renewed, ready to reclaim my advantage and my life independent of the circumstances swirling around me and yes go the distance for my 2nd CONSECUTIVE Bermuda Half Marathon in January.

In that session, the power of the work of the Spratt Method of Muscular Therapy, the power of positive touch combined with compassionate presence to unearth and heal traumatic memories became abundantly clear. As Jeffrey worked to feel and heal the wounds from the past, I asked a question. "Why did he have to use his belt and throw me against the wall? Wouldn't one or the other have been enough." Without missing a beat Jeffrey said, "That was because you wouldn't stay down. You kept getting up to face him." "My bad," I replied to which Jeffrey quickly responded, "No no no that is not what I was saying at all! You were strong and powerful and you wouldn't let him win. It was not your bad at all!"

In that moment in the session I realized how, even as a teenager, facing the darkest, meanest, sickest sonofabitch on the planet who coincidentally was my father, that I was strong, invincible and incredibly powerful. Somehow despite all the violence and terror I experienced, I never turned to the Dark Side. I did not identify with the aggressors and within me kept compassion, love, kindness and most importantly of all, hope alive. Hope that despite all outward appearances 10 years ago I would heal. Hope that two years ago despite all appearances on the MRI and advice to the contrary by doctors, physical therapists and even the massage therapist I was working with that I would run again; that I would reclaim my life and go the distance on the roads and in my life.

The power of positive touch. The power of faith and believing that I was stronger than anything that happened to me. The power of the Spratt Method of Muscular Therapy. The power of chiropractic care. The power of tuning out fear and naysayers and the power of tuning into the Divine within me; to think greater than my circumstances and to imagine and believe in every fiber of my being that I would and have reclaimed my advantage and reclaimed my life. The power of compassion and kindness and us caring for one another and for each other. The power to choose to love. The power of my voice to speak my Truth and to no longer allow the fear to keep me silent and in bondage.

And yes Donald Trump did win the election. The question now becomes do we allow the power of one to create ripples of fear, negativity, panic and further divide us or do we take our power of one and join together to be the change, to create ripples and then a tsunamai of love, caring, kindness, doing good, reaching out and helping our fellow man and woman to stem the tide of what one man thinks he can do.

I believe we are strong and resilient. I believe that we can make a difference in our world. I believe that we can heal from the trauma of the campaign and election and I believe in the power of one to create positive momentum otherwise why else would I have written this blog today?

To answer the question I posed earlier, is my writing about my journey trivial compared to the events of the last 24 hours? Absolutely not! My story is important for I am living proof that darkness never wins and we can triumph over the greatest challenges that life throws our way. And by the way - double digits are coming up on Saturday!

To your health and wellness,
Mary






No comments:

Post a Comment