Thursday, November 10, 2016

Reclaim Advantage! Reclaim Life! Thankful Thursday: Reflections on a Journey of Transformation



The anniversary of when I was diagnosed with post polio syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease is on the horizon. TEN YEARS next month. I remember going for so many tests including an excruciatingly painful EMG to see how the "late effects" of paralytic polio were manifesting in my body. I had a dozen tubes of blood drawn with my primary care provider and saw a speech/swallow therapist, a physical therapist, an occupational therapist, a physiatrist, the orthotics clinic where I was given a toe up leg brace:


In addition to a leg brace, a cane and advice to use a wheelchair if I had any distances to walk, I was given the warning that if you use it you will lose it. You can read about the early days of my journey in my memoir, "Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing, Hope and Possibility," available on Amazon.

I was not about to take the diagnosis of post polio syndrome sitting down:


But I could not for the life of me get traction on my healing journey.

Two years ago next month I suffered a serious knee injury...oh boy did I ever!

That was the best thing that ever happened to me. It was painful and scary and I had no idea where that knee injury was going to take me. It took me away from everything and everybody that told me I had to stop running, I couldn't possibly heal the late effects of paralytic polio (and as a side note - the late effects of paralytic polio paled in comparison to the effects of the trauma that was embedded in the very fiber of my body and Being). And led me to Dr. Ryan J. Means, a chiropractic healer and Jeffrey Spratt, MT, the pioneer of the life saving Spratt Method of Muscular Therapy. Two earth angels. Two healers passionate about partnering with people to release the body's natural capacity to heal. Two dear friends who have helped me to reclaim my advantage and reclaim my life through the power of positive touch, of Love, compassion and belief in our body's ability to restore its goodness no matter what it has been through.

So on this Thursday evening, my heart overflows with gratitude. One more rest day and then it is on to double digits on Saturday - 10 miles on the road to the Bermuda Half Marathon - my 2nd CONSECUTIVE Bermuda Half Marathon as Jeffrey loves to call it. It's so amazing to experience this miracle of healing, this journey of transformation.

I almost quit after that knee injury in December 2014 but all that I had set in motion to manifest complete healing could not be stopped!



I'm feeling so thankful for my freedom, for continued healing, for a miraculous transformation from one once ravaged by paralytic polio and violence to a beautiful woman running free and unencumbered going the distance!

Don't quit before the miracle happens!

To your health and wellness,
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment