Thursday, November 17, 2016

Reclaim Advantage! Reclaim Life! The proof is here! On Scars, Badges of Honor and The Velveteen Rabbit



As I partner with Jeffrey Spratt,MT to heal the effects of paralytic polio and violence, as the physical pain leaves my body, there are many emotions and memories coming to the surface. In order to survive all that I had to endure, I had to keep them at bay but now as Jeffrey reminds me every week, it is safe to express myself and I am safe to experience what needs to be experienced in order to heal.

In yesterday's massage therapy session with Jeffrey, feelings surfaced that I am sure are common among rape survivors; especially survivors of childhood rape. I felt tainted, unworthy of positive touch, and that my body was ugly because it is ridden with scars. Those thoughts and beliefs from all I endured are met with Jeffrey's warm hands and greeted with compassionate presence. Jeffrey was quick to point out that my body is a beautiful thing and he encouraged me to release all the thoughts and beliefs that do not serve me anymore. Jeffrey went on to assert that those scars are my badges of honor. His words, his hands and his heart all spoke to me encouraging me to embrace my resilience and my survivorship; to feel my power, my strength, my new found confidence in my body and in my life and to honor myself.

Working to reclaim my beauty and creating my own definition of what it means to be beautiful has been a challenge for me in the wake of polio and violence. One of my Bermuda Marathon Weekend Facebook friends posted this after she ran her first marathon:


The proof for my book, "Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance," arrived. Talk about proof! Proof of the Spirit's capacity to recover and thrive regardless of horrific traumatic events. Proof that the body achieves what the mind believes. Proof that we do have the power to create our lives, and heal our bodies through the power of our thoughts. Going the Distance is proof that when we combine intention with action, and continue to move forward no matter the detours or the delays, miracles happen. Ten years ago I was broken in mind, body and Spirit. Today I am training to run my 2nd CONSECUTIVE Bermuda Half Marathon and inspiring others, helping others to heal through my journey and referring them to Jeffrey. We are conducting an exploratory research study (and mine is an anecodotal case study) to examine "The Efficacy of the Spratt Method of Muscular Therapy in Trauma Recovery."



And you become....


True I've lived through hell but have been touched by grace every step and every mile of the way most recently since finding my way to Jeffrey's table.

Through partnering with Jeffrey, experiencing his life saving Spratt Method of Muscular Therapy and interventions that counter my conditioning of having endured so much through the years, I feel real, alive, vibrant, beautiful, reclaiming my advantage, reclaiming my life and accepting that all that happened to me made me the woman I am today.

To your health and wellness,
~Mary



No comments:

Post a Comment