Friday, November 4, 2016

Reclaim Advantage! Reclaim Life! I believe I can fly! Your ice awaits you ....



In Wednesday's massage therapy treatment with Jeffrey Spratt,MT I asked him to go to an area on my back that he has hit many many times in our work together. He always apologizes if he hits it and I have an involuntary painful jumping reaction. I always tell him it's not his fault and he always says he needs to remember to go at it from a more gentle approach. We decided it was time to take a look at that "nugget" in my pre-session interview. I suggested that we'd find the treasure once we were able to explore this nugget. I often say that Jeffrey is my Indiana Jones on this wild adventure of healing the past so I can go forward full throttle on my health and wellness journey.

Jeffrey began the session as he always does with a full body scan with deep compression. As he returned to the left side of my back I was able to tell him "x marks the spot" and he began exploring the area. He told me what he felt there and that the sensations he was experiencing were unusual. I had a flash of insight. "I believe I had a hairline fracture there." "No doubt," Jeffrey said to me. For the first time in my life, I was able to share what happened to me in exquisite and painful detail while experiencing the healing of Jeffrey's powerful positive touch and compassionate presence. He affirmed how strong and powerful I was to endure the nightly beatings. It was another transformative massage therapy session where we clean out the "crap" from the past so I have a strong foundation on which to build strength, health and wellness mind,body and soul.

It will be ten years next month that I was diagnosed with post polio syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease that in fact was the accumulation of the toxins and unhealed physical and emotional wounds from paralytic polio and trauma that caused disease and dysfunction. No wonder I could not get traction on my healing journey no matter how hard I tried!

But now I can! Tom and I made our reservations at The Pickled Onion on Front Street which was our go to place last year during Bermuda Marathon Race Weekend for their Bermuda Fish Chowder, glazed salmon for me and whatever suited Tom's fancy each night. The manager Samantha was the epitome of Bermudian hospitality. She made sure we had a table for the apres race brunch celebration even though we didn't have a reservation and brought me two bags of carefully wrapped ice for my knees as I proudly wore my medal and relished my victory over post polio syndrome and trauma.

Our reservations included a reservation for brunch. Under special instructions I wrote, "two bags of ice please for after the half marathon."

What a pleasant surprise to receive an email from Samantha with the subject, "Your Ice Awaits You." I didn't even know whether or not she'd still be there or even remember us. Clearly it was a yes on both counts!

Hi Mary, So happy to see your reservations!! Looking forward to seeing again.
Samantha
The Pickled Onion Restaurant & Bar
53 Front Street, Hamilton Bermuda
Mailing Address: P.O. Box HM 462, Hamilton HM BX, Bermuda



By the way -- if you have any doubts about the mind/body connection, read the menu from your favorite restaurant. Does your mouth start to water? Well right there is the power of your imagination. Your body cannot tell the difference between an experience your body is actually having and what is happening in your mind! I was reading the menu as I was getting the link to post in my blog and my body remembered the savory food at The Pickled Onion complete with my mouth watering and my body anticipating enjoying a meal there.

That's a trigger - a positive trigger and through partnering with Jeffrey we are able to transform and heal the negative triggers and cycles of reactions that happen as a result of trauma.

My body is now learning how to experience health and wellness; to successfully train for running a half marathon again building strength and endurance. I reclaim advantage and reclaim life through the power of positive touch each week partnering with Jeffrey as I regain a sense of confidence in my body's ability to heal from the effects of paralytic polio and violence.

And yes - I dare say it - I believe I can fly! I believe I can go the distance. What makes the journey so sweet is knowing that Samantha will be there after I cross the finish line with two bags of ice and a wonderful table overlooking Front Street with a restaurant filled with runners from all over the world celebrating Bermuda Marathon Weekend.

To your health and wellness!
~Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment