Saturday, November 19, 2016

Reclaim Advantage! Reclaim Life! Healing from the inside out!



Next month I celebrate the 10 year anniversary of when I received the life giving diagnosis of post polio syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease. Of course at the time I wasn't so sure it was a life giving diagnosis since my body, mind and Spirit seemed to be withering away and my life was spiraling out of control. Since the 1980's, I knew the work of Dr. Bernie Siegel or bernie as he loves to be called. I knew about the power of love - especially self love - and how we can harness the power of our mind to heal or hate ourselves. I returned to his wisdom and to the wisdom deep within me. I got still and asked for Divine Guidance and the answer came in the form of a poem, "Running the Race;" the first of many poems that would stimulate changes in my body from dis-ease to wellness, wholeness, a sense of well being and joy despite all appearances to the contrary.

I worked harder than I ever had at anything in my life to go from a leg brace and a wheelchair and defy what Western medicine was telling me to go on to run the 2009 Boston Marathon.

Try as I might I could not get positive momentum in healing the effects of paralytic polio and violence....

And then .... In January of 2015 I met Dr. Ryan J. Means who let me know unequivocally that I deserved to heal and that I should set goals not limits on my body's capacity for healing. His love, his skill, his faith and his healing hands and heart reignited the flame within me to go the distance in healing and on the roads after a serious knee injury that Western medicine said would define the end of my running career and send me back to the post polio clinic for a reevaluation. Ryan turned me onto Dr. Joe Dispenza's work and encouraged me to watch "What the bleep do we know?..."

I fired everyone - doctors, physical therapists, the team at Spaulding - even the massage therapist I was working with at the time - and made room for Jeffrey Spratt,MT to enter my life. The motto for his massage therapy practice? Reclaim Advantage! Reclaim Life! What had I been writing about in my poetry? How will I ever reclaim my life and yearning to run unencumbered and free. What did Jeffrey say to me after our first massage therapy session together? I want you to run unencumbered.

For these past 20 months, I have been healing from the inside out healing more in these 20 months than in the previous 8 years of my healing journey combined. I had a wound on my nose that would not heal. It would bleed, scab over and then more scar tissue would develop. I set a powerful intention for this wound to heal and, through Jeffrey's warm hands and intention partnering with mine, there is barely a trace of where this wound had been.

Jeffrey uses the phrase the power of positive touch - powerful indeed! The Spratt Method of Muscular Therapy which Jeffrey pioneered clears out the gunk and makes way to allow for my body's natural ability to heal. The Spratt Method goes deep to create the environment needed for a new neural net to grow; one that allows for clear, clean energy to flow and to heal the effects of paralytic polio and trauma.

Today, Team McManus deposited another 10 miles in the Bank of Bermuda. Five weeks to go until we taper and 54 days and counting until Bermuda Marathon Weekend.



We were so blessed with sunshine, gentle breezes and mild temperatures that made for a great run. We took almost 5 minutes off of our time from last week for 10 miles. We had a wonderful time breathing deeply allowing the smell of the sea to fill our lungs and nurture our souls.

It's a miracle that I am feeling well successfully training for my 2nd CONSECUTIVE Bermuda Half Marathon. It's a miracle that I have reclaimed my advantage and reclaimed my life from the effects of polio and trauma and from all those who would have preferred me to die. What a wonderful, exhilarating feeling to be healing from the inside out.

To your health and wellness,
~Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment