Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Reclaim Advantage! Reclaim Life! Transformation Tuesday - Why am I so sore?



TEN YEARS AGO - ten years ago this December I was diagnosed with post polio syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease. That first photo you see is me in December of 2007 one year after the diagnosis. I was told to adapt my Cape house or buy a ranch and prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair....possibly needing a feeding tube because the left side of my esophagus was sluggish and muscle function was compromised. I needed to consider using a C-PAP machine because sleep apnea was common among polio survivors and my clinical presentation indicated a high suspicion that I was suffering from sleep apnea. I was told "if you use it you will lose it" so conserve energy because the natural aging process was going to be accelerated as a result of the initial polio virus. On and on it went...I did heed the advice to quit my award winning social work career at the VA because the physical and emotional stress of the job was not going to support my healing. Initially I implemented many of the strategies suggested to me. Fortunately, I met an angel of a physical therapist, Allison Lamarre Poole, at Spaulding Rehab's Downtown Clinic. She was not affiliated with the post polio clinic and refused to treat me like a polio survivor. She helped me to believe that I could get stronger. Poetry poured out of me visualizing myself as healthy and whole, free and at ease in my body. She partnered with me until I was discharged from outpatient care. I hired a personal trainer, another earth angel who did not scoff at me or turn tail when I set the goal to run the 2009 Boston Marathon.



After Boston, it was a roller coaster ride of feeling well and then crashing and burning with a resurgence of symptoms. After my nephew's suicide in March of 2011, it was almost a knock out and I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to come back from that blow. I soldiered on and wouldn't quit feverishly writing poetry imagining reclaiming my life and running unencumbered and free.

Fast forward to March of 2015 when I met Dr. Ryan Means, a chiropractor who set me straight on my healing path. A month later I was blessed to find my way to Jeffrey Spratt,MT and his life saving Spratt Method of Muscular Therapy.

There's been positive momentum. Despite what Jeffrey calls a "tonnage" of stress in my our lives with our daughter's psychiatric condition, I continue to move forward in my health and wellness journey healing the effects of paralytic polio and trauma while also healing the trauma of what happened with our daughter.

I got out of my car this afternoon after a full day at work with Jeffrey and Spratt Muscular Therapies. I wondered, "Why am I so sore?" In addition to my day beginning at 6:00am with our 5K run:


I did a lot of walking at work to and from my parking space (twice because the first time I forgot my lunch in the car) and partnering with a company in the area. I had two meetings and finished at 3:30.

I ran the Hazelwood 5K on Saturday.

I haven't missed a beat in strength training or cross training as I train again for the Bermuda Half Marathon coming up in less than 3 months!

It's quite the miracle that I can put in a full day, train for Bermuda again, manage the intense feelings of these past 7 months with our daughter and now working through the trauma and the grief of letting go letting her find her way on her journey without us. There is a resilience that I can now experience through partnering with Jeffrey and all the tools he gives me to help me reclaim advantage and reclaim life moving beyond my habitual responses that had their origins in devastating trauma after contracting paralytic polio. So why am I so sore? Because I am living life to the full...because I am vibrant and healthy and able to consistently challenge my body getting stronger every day. Because I am almost 63 years old and I have a work out schedule that would put some people half my age to shame.

I am sore and strong and tomorrow, after my final day of my 5 day training cycle on the Arc Trainer and Bike, I get to get on Jeffrey's table again where I will reclaim advantage, reclaim life, recover and rejuvenate.

To your health and wellness
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment