Sunday, October 2, 2016

Reclaim Advantage! Reclaim Life! Impossible is a Dare! Imagine the Possibilities! My New Normal!



Last week I was fortunate to have the opportunity to hear George Blankenship speak at ADP, our payroll processing company's Senior Leadership Meeting. I was invited to be a member of the panel representing Spratt Muscular Therapies, LLC and our experience with ADP as we transitioned from 1099 staff status to W-2 status. I was invited to stay for lunch and to hear the keynote address by George. George speaks with authority about doing the impossible. "It's not impossible, it just hasn't been done yet," he said. "To unlock your growth," he said, (and this is fabulous advice for business and personal life) close your eyes and imagine."

That's exactly what I did after being diagnosed with post polio syndrome now almost 10 years ago! I got still and I imagined a life different than my circumstances. My pen became my divining rod for healing and poetry poured out of me imagining myself as healthy, whole and free. I was even so bold as to imagine myself Running the Race!. I was told I'd spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair.

The theme of innovation was woven into George's presentation.

Innovation -- "Look at something that already exists and think maybe there's something better!"

That's exactly what Jeffrey Spratt,MT has done pioneering the innovative Spratt Method of Muscular Therapy.

How do you come up with an innovative way to deliver massage therapy that is effective and powerful? It begins with intention. Jeffrey's intention was to create a method of massage therapy that would provide a transformative experience for his clients.



I set my intention through my poetry to heal the effects of paralytic polio and trauma, to reclaim my life, to run unencumbered and free.

What a beautiful Universe we live in where we found each other in April 2015 to partner together.

I could not for the life of me get traction on my healing journey. It was impossible. Everyone was telling me after a serious knee injury in December of 2014 that it would be impossible for me to continue my running career. It was impossible for me to consider going the distance again. It certainly was impossible to grow a new gastroc muscle in my left leg, dissolve bone spurs, reverse the effects of degenerative osteoarthritis and it certainly was impossible that I could reverse the effects of post polio syndrome.

At first I allowed those beliefs to prevail but then I got pissed and I took impossible as a dare. I wrote poetry with even greater fervor and knew deep down inside of me that I had not come that far in my healing journey to only go that far.

The Universe delivered!

I fired everyone who had been on my Team.

I am going to be 63 years old in a couple of months and I work out 5 days a week. I'm training for the 2017 Bermuda Half Marathon.

The weather was really gross yesterday. Team McManus could have opted to go outside for a run but we are so blessed to be members of Wave Health and Fitness. I knocked out 6 miles on the treadmill and then 3 miles on the bike. Poured sweat. Felt strong.



I reflected on the difference in my training for the Bermuda Half Marathon from a year ago.

Last year I was still living in the shadow of impossible. Fortunately I worked with Jeffrey, the best muscular therapist in Boston - probably the US - I dare say who takes impossible as a dare and imagines all possibilities for healing. No guarantees but a powerful intention for healing and seeing what possibilities we can create.

And oh what possibilities we have turned into reality. I feel as though I could go out and run the Half Marathon tomorrow if I needed to. I feel confident in my body's ability to go the distance and believe in my mind's eye that this is now my new normal. Whatever may be going on in my body, I trust I can work out with Jeffrey each week in our sessions. He has taught me good self-care with stretching and the importance of a post run recovery routine.

They told me it was impossible to regain any of the functioning I'd lost as a result of the residuals of paralytic polio back in December of 2006. They told me it was impossible for me to run again any significant distance after the knee injury in December of 2014. Jeffrey and I have demonstrated that it wasn't impossible - it just hadn't been done yet!

To your health and wellness!
Mary





No comments:

Post a Comment