Monday, October 31, 2016

Reclaim Advantage! Reclaim Life! The Starfish



You never know who you are going to meet swimming in the pool at Wave Health and Fitness. Jeffrey Spratt,MT and I had a change in schedule today for our administrative time and my ShakeOut (TM) Massage. That put me right in the path of a doctor from San Francisco who works at a Chinese Community Hospital practicing Western Medicine. She's in town for a wedding with her family. We chatted while we swam and she worked out with me as I did side steps and lunges in the pool. Total strangers drawn together.

I listened to her fascinating journey and then she asked me if I was from out of town or a member at the Health Club. I told her about how I've been on this healing quest for the past 10 years. "I had paralytic polio," I told her. "Do you have post polio syndrome?"

I shared how Jeffrey pioneered his own method of muscular therapy that has been exactly what I needed to go the distance on my healing journey complete with growing a new gastroc muscle. Of course I HAD to share with her how Dr. Ryan, my chiropractor, was the first healer I met who inspired me to go the distance and he is now practicing chiropractic care in a hospital in Kunming.

"How did you go about growing a new gastroc muscle?" she asked me.

I told her about Dr. Ryan being inspired to use KT tape to stimulate the growth of a new gastroc muscle and he gave me gastroc strengthening exercises.


"I used visualization and meditation and weekly massage therapy," I went on to tell her.

As we walked with side steps in the pool she said, "You look like a starfish."

We both smiled! Of course - that's it. A starfish.

When I went to Spaulding Rehab's International Rehab Center for Polio and Post Polio for the MRI results after a very serious knee injury in December 2014, I was told unequivocally that the gastroc muscle was gone. It was atrophied as a result of denervation from the polio. "It's been that way for over 50 years," Dr. Rosenberg told me. "There's no way it's ever going to come back!"

We have proof from the starfish that regeneration happens. Interestingly enough, I found this fact about starfish: "Most can regenerate damaged parts or lost arms and they can shed arms as a means of defense." But when it comes to humans Western Medicine has been so quick to hand down the decree of the permanence of a diagnosis or the human body being damaged.

After that knee injury, even I believed that there was permanent damage to the knee joint and was looking at a total knee replacement in a few years needing to set limits on my running.

Thanks to meeting the physical therapist from hell, and then meeting Dr. Ryan; thanks to the massage therapist I was working with at the time shrugging when I told him my intention to heal everything and not need another surgery and becoming so obnoxious and toxic in our work together that I was led straight to Jeffrey, I am now training for my 2nd CONSECUTIVE Bermuda Half Marathon...in just 73 days.

I've got a lot of work to still do between now and then but I continue to regenerate and heal. So blessed to have Dr. Ryan and Jeffrey in my life who tenderly care for one starfish at a time creating beautiful ripples of healing in the Universe.

To your health and wellness,
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment