Monday, October 24, 2016

Reclaim Advantage! Reclaim Life! Nine is Divine: Building Miles & Excitement!



If you ever would have told me in December of 2014 that I'd be training for my 2nd Bermuda Half Marathon, I would have told you that was just crazy. Oh sure I knew about the power of the mind/body connection, the body achieves what the mind believes and all that goes with it, but my left knee blew up and blew out with a miniscal tear, a lipoma, degenerative joint changes, bone spurs and degenerative post op changes from reconstructive leg surgery, 3 arthoscopic surgeries and hardware removal, and I thought it was game over for my running career.

But not for long....

I went the traditional Western Medicine route for about a minute. Fortunately the Universe sent me the physical therapist from hell. Things were rapidly deteriorating at Spaulding Rehab's Aquatic Therapy classes with the naysayer messages I was receiving from instructors and with the people in the class. The massage therapist I was working with at the time was sending me negative energy through his touch and with his words in terms that made me know in no uncertain terms I needed to, at the very least, leave that guy and hopefully find a new massage therapist who would partner with me to go the distance.

The powerful intentions I set forth in my poetry which you can read in "Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life," available on Amazon led me to Dr. Ryan Means, a doctor of chiropractic medicine and Jeffrey Spratt, MT, pioneer of the life saving Spratt Method of Muscular Therapy.

I'm getting ready to celebrate the 10th anniversary of being given the diagnosis of post polio syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease when I was told to adapt our Cape home and prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair.

I have experienced more healing since partnering first with Ryan (who has since gone to China to bring his gifts of healing to the other side of the world) and now with Jeffrey since April of 2015, then I did in the previous 8 1/2 years on my healing quest. AND until now I would always hit a wall in the journey - every.damn.time. I could not for the life of me get positive momentum on my quest for health and wellness.

The stress in our lives was off the charts with our daughter's illness. While I certainly have my moments and my days, I am able to put my mind and body through the rigors of training for the Bermuda Half Marathon again. On Saturday the weather was warm, chilly, windy, foggy, sunshine, drizzle and rain. We loved being able to head out our front door and then figure out what we were going to do to get in our 9 miles improvising our route along the way.



Nine Divine miles as we build miles and excitement for Bermuda Marathon Weekend, January 2017.

I almost quit back in December of 2014. I was surrounded by people who didn't believe and people who were mirroring the beliefs I was harboring about myself as a survivor of paralytic polio and violence. The wheels were already set in motion though in the Universe to help me manifest my intention to heal my life from the effects of paralytic polio and violence. The power of my pen, the power of my poetry to express my heart and soul's desire to move beyond limits and self-limiting beliefs and leaving people and situations that did not support this intention brought me to this moment in my life.

I am so excited to be in the final stages of editing, "Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance."



Mary McManus knew challenges since she was five years old beginning with contracting polio followed by enduring nine years of violence at the hands of family members. Those early challenges prepared her for taking on the challenge of the diagnosis of post polio syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease in December 2006 when she was at the height of her award winning career as a social worker at the Department of Veterans Affairs. Asking for Divine Guidance as she had throughout her trials and tribulations, she discovered the gift of poetry in her soul. Her first poem, “Running the Race,” foreshadowed her 2009 Boston Marathon run. “Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance,” chronicles Mary’s journey as a survivor of paralytic polio and trauma, as a runner and a woman who refused to quit. After 8 years of her quest to heal, she was finally led to two healers, a chiropractor and a muscular therapist, who helped her reclaim her life and go the distance, a woman transformed who embodies the power of endurance.


Nine miles - nine divine miles in the Bank of Bermuda as Team McManus builds miles and excitement for an encore performance at Bermuda Marathon Weekend.

To your health and wellness!
Mary







No comments:

Post a Comment