Monday, October 3, 2016

Reclaim Advantage! Reclaim Life! Going the Distance-Ten Years Later



As I am working on my 2nd round of edits for Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance, I realize how much strength, fortitude and determination I have had during these past 10 years. It will be 10 years ago on October 6th that I made that phone call to Spaulding Rehab's International Rehab Center for Polio and Post Polio. Funny how some dates just seem to stick with you.

For ten years prior to making that phone call I was slowly withering on the vine of life. The limp from polio returned. Symptoms of anxiety, depression, difficulty swallowing and breathing, chronic pain, fatigue went from a whisper to a roar until I could no longer ignore what was happening to me.

The first steps I took on this healing odyssey out of the dark night of my mind, body and soul were on the path of Western Medicine. While some of the advice I received was welcome advice - like I had to learn how to take care of myself and I needed to leave my almost 20 year career at the VA, some of the advice was fear based. "If you use it you will lose it," the doctors told me (and tell many who are experiencing a neuromuscular condition). "Be prepared to spend the rest of your life in a wheelchair. We suggest you look for a new house or adapt the house you are living in." "We want to do a sleep study and you should have a c-pap machine because we suspect you have sleep apnea." "You need a semi soft diet and at some point if your swallowing continues to deteriorate you may need a feeding tube."

Holy sh** I thought to myself...I better do something and fast!

While I followed some of the advice - like quitting my job and making dramatic lifestyle changes, there was something burning deep inside of me yearning to heal, to be free, to reclaim my life from the effects of paralytic polio and trauma and to create a miracle of healing.

These yearnings came through my pen, my divining rod for healing as I wrote poetry allowing my soul to speak.

Year after year since the diagnosis of December 2006, I worked so hard to heal.

Body worker after body worker, energy healer, physical therapy, aquatics therapy, adaptive sports, yoga, KMI Structural Integration, Zero Balancing... nothing was giving me the traction I needed to heal.

At just the right moment, I met Dr. Ryan - a chiropractor healer whose healing hands and heart, compassion and belief in the body's capacity to heal ignited that fire to go the distance within me. He turned me onto the work of Dr. Joe Dispenza and Candace Pert, Ph.D. and turned on my belief that I deserve to heal.

Shortly after meeting Dr. Ryan, Jeffrey Spratt,MT came into my life. "What leg are we rehabbing?" he asked confidently taking my left leg infusing healing and a belief that yes indeed it was time to reclaim my advantage and reclaim my life...his tagline for Spratt Muscular Therapies, LLC. As I experienced his very own Spratt Method of Muscular Therapy, I knew my search for a healer to partner with me was over!



What's different about Dr. Ryan and Jeffrey is that they took their foundation of training and pioneered their own method of practicing the art of chiropractic care and muscular therapy.

None of the other practitioners I had seen were able to claim their own style of releasing the body's natural capacity to heal. None of the other practitioners were invested or held the intention to help me heal. I was an object of interest to them.

How blessed am I that I have a wonderful story to tell and share with others to inspire hope and healing.

I can hardly believe it's been 10 years since I set out to heal my life....a wonderful milestone.

I am so excited to prepare this manuscript for publication sharing the good news that ten years after being diagnosed with a progressive neuromuscular disease, I am going the distance running long, strong, healthy and happy in my life and on the roads.

To your health and wellness!
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment