Sunday, September 18, 2016

Reclaim Advantage! Reclaim Life! Endurance and Momentum



In writing, Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance," the sequel to Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing, Hope and Possibility available on Amazon I have a wonderful opportunity to reflect on the moments of my healing journey since April of 2015 when I began my partnership with Jeffrey Spratt,MT.

This time one year ago I was getting ready to run my first 8 mile training run since I ran the 2009 Boston Marathon. I wrote about my preparations for that training run in my blog.

I was doing strength training on land twice a week, swimming once a week and running twice a week.

I have upped my training since last year by incorporating the Arc Trainer and Bike into my training regimen trading out a strength training work out for a cardio workout. We are also managing the stress of our daughter's psychiatric condition which takes incredible strength, restraint, patience and faith to navigate the turbulent waters of this challenging situation.

This morning I was sore and stiff and really wanted to blow off my strength training workout. And you know what? The earth wouldn't have ended if I did. Jeffrey has even suggested to me that if I need to take a break and not do a workout on any particular day it would not disrupt my training. I have a fantastic base from having successfully run the Bermuda Half Marathon in January. Weekly massage therapy sessions are, as Jeffrey likes to say, the ultimate training tool that aids in my recovery from the rigors of training and improves my performance. Clearing out the effects of trauma and paralytic polio and the current stress in my life frees me up mind, body and soul to experience my optimal state of health and wellness.

I felt a lot of stress in my SI joint and my lower back. It's counter-intuitive to move when you feel sore and stiff but it's exactly what I needed to flush out the lactic acid from yesterday's run (an active recovery day) and to send a message to my body about endurance and momentum.



While last year I was getting used to the sensations in my body for running longer distances and training for a half marathon, this year I am increasing my work outs while training for the Bermuda Marathon Weekend 2017! I find that if I push just a little further than I think I can and if I endure a little more than I perhaps want to, I reap the benefits of continuing to improve my health and fitness leaving the effects of paralytic polio and trauma and the stress in my current life in the dust moving forward on my road to the Bermuda Marathon Weekend 2017!

To your health and wellness,
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment