Sunday, September 11, 2016

Reclaim Advantage! Reclaim Life! Eight Great (Hilly) Miles!



We originally planned to do our 8 miles in South Boston again; around Castle Island and out to U.Mass Boston, the JFK Library and the Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the United States Senate. We ran many training runs there last year training for the Bermuda Half Marathon and would imagine how it would be to run Bermuda. Of course our imagination paled by comparison to the beauty and magic of that race.

Something inside of me wanted to just go out our front door and run. We did not have a plan!

We were going to do one of our runs from last year where we ran down Beacon Street and took our right on Hereford and Left on Boylston.

We totally let Spirit guide us.

It was humid but fortunately overcast. I knew that after our two pushing the pace runs and given the humidity that we were not going to push our pace, especially with our first 8 miler since last year.

We used to run or drive to the Cleveland Circle Reservoir and then do laps. After 1 1/2 laps we decided that we didn't want to continue doing laps. I wish we did a Facebook Live report trying to calculate our route. How far would we have to go on Beacon Street before we turned around to head home? We got a good estimate and began our ascent on what we affectionately call Billy's Hill on Beacon Street going by the BC Campus.

We had not run this route since we trained for the 2009 Boston Marathon but my body seemed to remember how it felt running those rolling hills-especially on the way back when I ended up with a whopping blister on my heel. I felt a sense of strength and courage that despite feeling the pain of that blister during one of our last long runs, there was no way I was going to quit. It was wonderful mental training for Marathon Monday.

Yesterday's training run, although much shorter in mileage was long on using the run to wrestle with some intense issues that Tom and I experience as a result of our daughter's psychiatric condition. We joked at one point and said Thank God for running; otherwise we'd probably be divorced right now.

There was something about toughing out those hills that mirrored us toughing out all the emotions we were experiencing. We were sweating and breathing hard stripping away the layers and baring our souls.

As we got closer to our house, we were a little short on miles so Tom suggested we run around the newly paved path in a renovated park on Eliot Street. As we got to the path the skies opened up and once again we were without our jackets experiencing an unexpected downpour.

"It's the Universe washing everything away," I said.

As we came down Eliot Street we once again imagined how it's going to feel coming down Front Street remembering how we felt in January and celebrating how it will feel in January of 2017 especially since Tom is going to run the Half Challenge: 3 races - 3 days - 4 medals!

We held hands high and celebrated a challenging yet exhilarating 8 mile run. We were hill seekers and seekers of Truth as once again, running helped us to transcend and transform the challenge in our lives.

For these past 10 years I struggled to get momentum and traction on my healing journey. Through my weekly partnering with Jeffrey, I have not missed a beat in my training!

I came home and stretched and took an ice bath. Last night I marveled and posted this on Facebook:
#reclaimadvantage #reclaimlife #runbermuda #eightisgreat Absolutely amazed that after 8 miles with serious elevation and we counted 7 hills today that, while I am sore, I can feel the resilience in my body. Blog post to follow tomorrow but tonight I want to express my deepest gratitude to Jeffrey Spratt, MT whose pioneering spirit created the Spratt Method of Muscular Therapy; a method that is elegant and simple yet powerful and effective in healing, for me, the effects of paralytic polio and trauma. So grateful for our partnership and so thrilled that I am once again training for the Bermuda Marathon Weekend. Yes, it's true, massage therapy at its finest can be life saving ....



Eight great miles in the Bank of Bermuda as Team McManus trains for Bermuda Marathon Weekend 2017.



To your health and wellness!
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment