Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Reclaim Advantage! Reclaim Life! Transformation Tuesday - On Running a PR Then & Now



Tomorrow marks the two year anniversary of when I ran a PR at the Bill Rodgers 5K For Prostate Cancer. It was a triumphant moment for me after having experienced my nephew's suicide in March of 2011 and then the horrific events of 4/15/13.



After my triumphant PR, the massage therapist I was working with at the time showed no excitement about what I had just done. The staff at the massage therapy practice congratulated me, gave me a card and flowers but as I sat across from him before my session, I was greeted with flat affect. The treatment I received was virtually the same session I received week in and week out. It's no wonder I was an injury waiting to happen but oh what an incredibly glorious moment I experienced crossing that finish line.

When I first asked Jeffrey Spratt,MT what inspired him to pioneer the Spratt Method of Muscular Therapy, he used the analogy of going out for dinner on a Friday night after a long work week. "You go into the restaurant and you wait for your table. One wait person comes over and virtually brushes by your table barely acknowledging your presence. How does that make you feel? Then a wait person comes over with arms full of dishes, juggling your menus and managing to hand them to you asking, "Can I get you something from the bar?" You take a long deep exhale and begin to unwind." He went on to share with me how important it is to attend to the client the moment they are on the table and greet every part of the body searching out the areas that you'll need to come back to in order to bring relief and help the client reclaim advantage and reclaim life.

After I ran that PR I knew my body needed a good flush but at the time I did not know I was worthy of quality, effective massage therapy and so I settled feeling ignored like that patron at the restaurant.

I did not compromise my unrelenting movement forward in my journey to health and wellness.

I wrote poetry asking how will I ever reclaim my life and yearning to run unencumbered and free striving to be the person I was always meant to be free from the effects of paralytic polio and childhood trauma.


Several weeks ago I scored a PR at the Quonset Air Show 4 Miler:


Jeffrey was there at the start:


cheered me on to a strong finish and celebrated with Team McManus after the event:


I've been blessed with a running partner in Tom who runs by my side stride by stride whatever pace and whatever distance I need. The community of runners has embraced my journey every mile of the way. And in April of 2015, I was blessed to find my way to Jeffrey's table. I reclaim advantage and reclaim life experiencing a glorious transformation from a survivor of paralytic polio and 9 years of unrelenting violence as a child to the magnificent woman I am today living my best life!

To your health and wellness,
Mary










No comments:

Post a Comment