Sunday, August 28, 2016

Reclaim Advantage! Reclaim Life! The ShakeOut (TM) Massage - A Powerful Training Tool




It had been several months since I had Jeffrey Spratt,MT's ShakeOut (TM) Massage. Today I remembered why it is such a powerful training tool for running and for life!

It was just about a year ago that I first experienced a ShakeOut (TM) Massage. Jeffrey invited me to experience it after a 7 mile run as I blogged about last year. I hadn't officially come on board as his Communications and Public Relations Director yet. I was curious and intrigued about his work. Perhaps the most striking thing about the ShakeOut (TM) Massage for me was how I went in feeling so depleted after a 7 mile run and felt refreshed and energized after only 25 minutes on the table.

After going 7.5 miles yesterday and seeing that Jeffrey had a last minute cancellation on his schedule for this morning, I decided to schedule a ShakeOut (TM) Massage this morning.

"I'm feeling this pain on my right foot," I told Jeffrey as I plopped my leg on the massage table and showed him the corridor on my foot where I felt it. He did a cursory feel of the area while asking me, "Is it sharp and sudden pain or dull and throbbing?" "Dull and throbbing," I replied. He got me on the table - for those of you unfamiliar with the ShakeOut (TM) Massage I stayed fully clothed. I told him about the possibility of me becoming a Reef Runner Ambassador for the Bermuda Marathon Weekend. He was delighted that I had applied for the Ambassadorship and we chatted about my excitement of training for Bermuda this year. You see this is the first time in my almost 10 year healing odyssey that I am able to sustain training and running. The effects of paralytic polio and trauma recede into the background of my life and I feel vibrant and strong. "I might even start doing continuing education in trauma work and get my LICSW reinstated," I told Jeffrey. That would be a wonderful asset for our research study, "The Efficacy of the Spratt Method Muscular Therapy in Trauma Recovery."

The compression on my back felt wonderful. I even coughed to clear out the exertion from yesterdays 7.5 miler. Jeffrey flushed and stretched my legs. I took deep breaths as he went right to the edge of what was needed to insure injury prevention and to facilitate my body's ability to recover.

He found the spots on my right foot that were the source of the pain and provided me with education about my muscles and tendons working to alleviate the inflammation to prevent injury.

"My legs are tingling," I told him.

"Yummy," he replied.

I recalled with him how last year he had me make note of the difference between my two sides after he finished the circuit on one side before beginning the circuit on the other side. Because we have cleared out so much from the trauma and polio, I can reap the rich rewards of the ShakeOut (TM) Massage this year. I am conditioned to the work and his phenomenal touch!

In addition to the deep tissue work, Jeffrey uses his innovative techniques to bring about relaxation and yumminess to the cervical spine, cranium, jaw and face. Jeffrey is all about balance; the yin and the yang and he brings together the best of Eastern and Western modalities in his very own creation.

When I came home, Tom and I did our strength training workout. Tom had his regular ShakeOut (TM) Massage with Jeffrey this morning and we both remarked how we were able to get the maximum benefit out of our workout with less effort. I felt lightness in my body and a renewed determination and joy about going the distance in Bermuda in January.

I am deeply blessed to have found my way to Jeffrey's table where I can reclaim advantage and reclaim life healing the effects of paralytic polio and trauma and in addition to my 90 minutes of transformative massage with the Spratt Method of Muscular Therapy each week, I can supplement my training with the ShakeOut (TM) Massage: a powerful training tool as I go the distance on January 15th running the Bermuda Half Marathon 2017!

To your health and wellness,
Mary


No comments:

Post a Comment