Monday, August 8, 2016

Reclaim Advantage! Reclaim Life! A Runner's High



Some people (who are probably not runners) would say, "What's the big deal that they told you not to run anymore?" referencing what the doctors, PT's and even a massage therapist told me after a serious knee injury in December 2014.

Some people (also probably not runners) might ask me, "Why do you rave so much about Jeffrey Spratt,MT and his pioneering Spratt Method of Muscular Therapy?"

As one who contracted paralytic polio at age 5 and endured 9 years of violence from the age of 8 until my father's suicide when I was 17, 45 years ago, I suffered and I mean suffered with symptoms of post traumatic stress disorder and never felt good in my body. I was a stranger to athletics and while dissociation helped me to survive, I paid a terrible price for the great divide within me mind, body and soul.

But then I discovered the powerful mind, body and soul medicine of running.

It's crazy in a way since I did not start running until I was 53 years old.

Tom and I are training once again for the Bermuda Half Marathon. He's training for the Half Challenge: The Front Street Mile, the 10K and then the Half with me.

Bermuda Marathon Weekend posted this photo on Facebook:


Running and especially racing brings out the best in me.

It was a beautiful summer's morning here in Boston and Team McManus woke up at 6:15am to greet the day with a 5K run.

I run and train from the inside out. I was still feeling the joy of running in the rain on Saturday's 6.5 miler. Yesterday I did my strength training work out on land. Today I was ready to run again.

Tom and I settled into a great tempo run. We did negative splits with a little over a 15 minute/mile pace for miles 2 and 3.

I spotted a Brookline Firefighter in the distance displaying Engine 1 on the back of his t-shirt. Tom took one look at me and knew what I was going to do. It's our version of a Fartlek. He was walking at a fairly brisk pace but I knew we could catch up to him. As we started to pass him I said, "Thank you for your service to our community. We appreciate you." "Thank you," he replied, "Anything for you."

I kept up the quickened pace to the end of our run. I felt my lungs burning and my legs getting tired but I also felt that wonderful runner's high that carried me through the day.



When I first met with Jeffrey on 4/19th of last year he knew the big deal about me needing to get back on the roads.

He knows that running is powerful medicine and with his healing hands, heart and soul partnered with me to get me back on the roads and go the distance!

Thank goodness that a runner's high is still legal in all 50 states - it's the best medicine there is!

To your health and wellness,
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment