Thursday, August 4, 2016

Reclaim Advantage! Reclaim Life! On Traction, Transformation and Thankfulness

Every once in awhile - okay maybe it's been more than once in awhile - I've been taking a look back at my almost 10 year healing odyssey from when I was first diagnosed with post polio syndrome, a "progressive neuromuscular disease."

Here I am in December of 2007 at Christmas time:



I was just starting to feel a little better after leaving my almost 20 year award winning social work career at the VA. I started working with a personal trainer in October of 2007.

I ran the 2009 Boston Marathon as a mobility impaired runner:


I went back into physical therapy and was told to take a hiatus from running until the Spring of 2010.

I came back with a vengeance and had a great run scoring PR after PR until I hit the wall in March of 2011 after my nephew's suicide.

It was a spiral downward until 4/15/13. I realized I had to get back on my healing path but how? With whom? I began writing poetry again asking the question how would I ever reclaim my life and yearning with all my heart to run unencumbered and free.

The third time really was the charm after two very unsuccessful body work experiences. The first with KMI Structural Integration -- too much force and humiliation combined with believing that transformation and change happens from the outside in. And then Zero Balancing with a massage therapist who was completely uncommitted in the way he used touch. As my poetry intensified I conjured up and imagined what I wanted and needed in a partner on my healing journey. The Universe was conspiring with me and last year the Universe delivered Ryan J. Means, healer and doctor of chiropractic medicine.



He let me know I was worthy of healing. His piercing blue eyes and his passion for the work was communicated through his touch.

And then the Universe brought Jeffrey Spratt,MT, and me together. Jeffrey pioneered the Spratt Method of Muscular Therapy, his own innovative method of massage therapy. This unique method of muscular therapy combined with his powerful intention to heal; to help his clients reclaim advantage and reclaim life through the POWER of positive touch was just what I needed to get traction on my healing journey. Here we are at the Jordan Rich Show sharing the innovative work that Jeffrey does at his company, Spratt Muscular Therapies and talking about Healing Trauma Through the Power of Positive Touch:


I ran the Harvard Pilgrim 5K Finish at the 50 and was just 27 seconds shy of a PR!:


I trained for and ran the Bermuda Half Marathon:


and went on to run the Hyannis 10K:


Two weeks ago Tom and I ran the Narrangasset Bay 5 Miler:


Quite a difference from December of 2007 wouldn't you say?

Feeling deeply blessed and thankful on this throwback and thankful Thursday for the miracle of healing in my life; for traction and transformation healing the effects of contracting paralytic polio and 9 years of unrelenting childhood violence.

To your health and wellness,
Mary





No comments:

Post a Comment