Monday, August 22, 2016

Reclaim Advantage! Reclaim Life! Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance



The rain woke me up at 3:30 this morning. I woke up Tom to make sure that the rain wasn't coming into the house as we left our windows open to enjoy the end of summer breezes and the sounds of the crickets chirping. I was having a hard time falling back to sleep but used the soundtrack of the rain to be my meditation. I fell into a deep sleep and when the alarm went off at 6:15am to signal the start of our day I so wanted to hit the snooze button and skip our morning run. But I know the rule:



unless of course it is a rest day!

We meditated for 15 minutes, did our plank, crunches and knee to elbow core work, had a piece of toast, hydrated and off we went.

We drank in the beauty of the morning and the sweet smell of the air after a soaking rain. The sun sparkling off of the Rt 9 Reservoir water with the backdrop of Boston's skyline was a magnificent way to begin our day.

It's always a wonderful time to unplug and just be together. Running is a sacred time and often times, like this morning, can be a time for inspiration.



"So what do you think about my working book title, Going the Distance: Healing Trauma Through the Power of Positive Touch (and Running)," I asked Tom. "Do you think I should take the parenthesis out of running? should I reverse the order?"

"I think you should think about a different title," Tom suggested.

We played around with different titles...

"But "Going the Distance" has to be in the title," I said. "It's the theme of the book."

"Wait I've got it...'Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance'!"



There were several turning points during my healing journey where I felt as though I could not go another step forward. After several unsuccessful and unsatisfactory experiences with massage therapists and body workers, I was ready to quit and figure out a way to heal on my own as I had done at the beginning of my healing journey discovering the transformative and healing power of running. I'm glad I decided to go the distance and trust once more finding my way to Jeffrey Spratt, MT who pioneered his own method of muscular therapy that will be featured in the book. Thanks to my partnership with Jeffrey, I can go the distance on the roads and in my life no longer having to endure the effects of paralytic polio and unthinkable acts of cruelty against me as a child but I can experience the joy of healing and the power of endurance through the power of positive touch.



After having a new book title and renewed excitement for my finishing the manuscript, Team McManus had a most satisfactory and inspirational morning run:


To your health and wellness!
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment