Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Reclaim Advantage! Reclaim Life! Climb Every Mountain! Healing the Mountain of Trauma

"Do you like Barbara Streisand?" I asked Jeffrey Spratt,MT during my massage therapy session today. "I enjoy her music," he said. "Why?" he asked. "She's on tour now. We decided the tickets were too pricey even in the nose bleeds seats so we'll need to wait for her album to drop...There's this duet with Jamie Foxx - Climb Every Mountain." "Goosebumps?" Jeffrey asked. "Goosebumps and tears I told him." At the time I hadn't recalled how, for many years, I could not listen to her music.



I grew up with the iconic Barbara Streisand - Funny Girl, Funny Lady, Hello Dolly; watching her on the Ed Sullivan Show. I have her LP's. One year for Christmas my adoring well meaning husband got me one of her CD's for Christmas. He didn't realize I'd not been listening to her music for awhile. I tried to listen to the CD and it was a trigger for me. I felt so badly but at the time there was nothing I could do about it. The sad thing about trauma is that it can claim so much of our lives robbing us of the things that once brought us joy and happiness.

BUT the story doesn't end there...



I'd been on a quest for these past 10 years to heal my life after the diagnosis of post polio syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease. And then my prayers were answered. In January of 2015 I met Dr. Ryan Means, a chiropractic healer who would remind me of all that I had yearned for and wrote about in my poetry since 2007. He steered me away from the nay sayers and the people in my life who were recapitulating my past with me and became my sherpa as I found my way to healing. The Universe then hooked me up with Jeffrey in April of 2015.

Jeffrey's hands get warm and radiate Divine Love as he partners with me to heal the effects of having contracted paralytic polio followed by 9 years of unrelenting violence. Several years ago I wrote this poem foreshadowing the work we are doing together; in my sessions with him I stake my claim and reclaim my life transformed from victim to mighty conqueror.


The Mountain of Trauma from Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life"

Weighted down by baggage
I trudged up the mountain that loomed before me
believing I needed all these supplies in order to survive
protective clothing and gear
heavy blankets of fear and panic
sleepless nights in the cold
unable to appreciate the starry night
walled off from all that surrounded me
in solitude I trudged onward and upward
carrying hope in my heart that I would find what I was looking for.

Little by little shedding baggage
leaving the trail of what no longer serves the soul
no need to look back
looking down
stomach lurches with uneasiness
thrown off balance
eyes gaze upward.

Turning my face to the summit
sun radiating warmth
feeling Divine Love on angel slides
my heart quickening its beat
knowing this is the place
seeking no more
planting the flag of my freedom
staking my claim on my birthright
drinking in the moment
no longer a victim
mighty conqueror


I am learning how to open my heart and appreciate all the beauty and splendor, magic and mystery that life has to offer. I shed the baggage and transform how I live in my body and celebrate my Being.

This past weekend I selected two of Barbara Streisand's songs for my Bermuda Marathon Training Playlist, "On a Clear Day" and "Don't Rain on my Parade."

And then with beautiful synchronicity, "Climb Every Mountain" is one of the songs that is featured for Barbara Streisand's upcoming new album.

"The Sound of Music" was the first movie I saw in Cinerama. My friend Caryn Rodman's mother invited me to accompany them into "the City" to see it. We sat in the first row of the balcony. It was breathtaking for me as a 12 year old girl and what an escape for me given the horrific circumstances I was living in that nobody knew about at the time.

Here it is from the original movie:

As Barbara said, "Climb every mountain has faith built into it. It's about taking chances and risks and striving to be better." I carried faith with me through all these years; a faith that gave me the strength to climb every mountain and took chances and risks striving - always striving to be better ... til I found my dream of total healing now bringing hope and inspiration and faith to others.

To your health and wellness,
Mary




1 comment: