Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Reclaim Advantage! Reclaim Life! Reflections on what it means to reclaim!



re·claim
rəˈklām/

verb: reclaim

1.retrieve or recover (something previously lost, given, or paid); obtain the return of.
"he returned three years later to reclaim his title as director of advertising"
synonyms: get back, recoup, claim back, recover, regain, retrieve
"traveling expenses can be reclaimed"
redeem (someone) from a state of vice; reform.
"societies for reclaiming beggars and prostitutes"
synonyms: save, rescue, redeem; reform
"Henrietta had reclaimed him from a life of despair"
archaic
tame or civilize (an animal or person).
2.bring (waste land or land formerly under water) under cultivation.
"little money is available to reclaim and cultivate the desert"
recover (material) for reuse; recycle.
"a sufficient weight of plastic could easily be reclaimed"

noun: reclaim

1.the action or process of reclaiming or being reclaimed.
"beyond reclaim"

As I wrote poetry expressing my deep desire to heal from the effects of paralytic polio followed by 9 years of violence, I kept using the words claim and reclaim. Here is a sample from "Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life."



Foot Strike

Each strike struck a chord of fear
helplessness
terror.
How would I ever reclaim my life?
Holding onto hope
waiting for the day
when memories would no longer weigh heavy
free to run my own race.
Stomping in anger
striking back
shadow boxing with the thief
who stole away childhood innocence
a no win.
Each foot strike ignites my soul
fired up to run my best race
taking the lead
breaking finisher’s tape

today I won my race.



Breathing Room

Breathing room
room to breathe
opening spaces once hermetically sealed
by the pain of trauma
wide open spaces as breath fuels life force
a new lease on a life once tossed aside by unskilled travelers
infected by generations who lost their way.

Sacred temple surrounds the Divine
holding a space for a beautiful Being
breathing deeply claiming and naming my life
living truth
deceptive lies drained
my heart sings a new refrain.

Breathing room
room to breathe
celebrating new birth
crying tears of joy
welcoming a new day
as the door opens to freedom.


Leaving The Past Behind

I bring a message of hope – a harbinger of good news
like the first robin of Spring…
many the miles I’ve traveled
every step so worth it

Suppressing pain no hope for pleasure
fear and dread my constant travel companions
from exhilaration to exhaustion
no modulation of moods
unknowingly self-inflicted suffering
unaware the healing balm of Divine Love
ever present inside of me.

There’s a space within where fear once lived
tears rush in filling the void
irrigating the battlefield where once I wrestled with the Universe
trembling
lay claim to authentic self
rubbing wrists and ankles where shackles once chafed
the wounds fade into a barely noticeable scar
the pain opens the path to healing…

Strength, courage, confidence and wisdom found
depths of joy, humility and gratitude…

Letting go I celebrate
take flight and soar
formative experiences that drove me to prove myself
academic and professional accolades abound
but inside emptiness and pain…

I awaken
the purpose of my Being
coming into view
drowning out din from the past
going forth
living fearlessly to claim my life.

Letting go of stories
no longer wondering why
I Become
beckoning others to embody their Being
embracing treasures
feel the wonder and mystery of grace
wander no more
no more wondering why.

Swords lose their edge
fear bleeds out
Truth revealed
holes in the heart patched by Divine Love
tenderly ministered by earth Angels.

Forgive those who wielded the sword
compassion, grace and beauty prevail
appreciate magnificence and mystery
awe and wonder
fragile preciousness of Being
all is transformed by Grace
blessed with awakening from the horror
happy to be alive and free.


Dare to Dream

Step out of all the muck and mire
Dare to set my soul on fire.
Dare to live and feel my dream
Forget what is or what may seem.
Pull the impossible out of thin air
Of God's inheritance I claim my share.
To dare to shout and spread the word
To dare to share what I have heard.
To live in Love and Faith and Trust
To love myself – that is a must.
Dare to live a passionate life
To easily maneuver through any strife.
To hold my dream close to my heart
And live with God one from the start.
Not slave and master but equals be
To live a life in harmony.
To dare to dream a life of peace
And know that wars can all now cease.
Disease no more but health now reigns
And Love erases all life's pains.
Living in love and loving in life is my heart's one desire
Dare to dream and live this dream to snuff out the funeral pyre.


When Jeffrey Spratt,MT was branding Spratt Muscular Therapies it was a "no brainer" for him to have the tag line Reclaim Advantage! Reclaim Life! for he knows that through the power of positive touch people can reclaim advantage and reclaim life. It's so much more than a tag line...it's the intention he sets before every session with a client...to help relieve, recover and reclaim. We were so blessed to recently have the opportunity to share Jeffrey's philosophy about massage therapy on The Jordan Rich Show.



As he was branding Spratt Muscular Therapies, I was putting out the call to the Universe for someone who could partner with me to heal the effects of paralytic polio and violence through my poetry and on 4/15/15, we met!

Reclaiming one's advantage whether from an injury, from trauma, from chronic illness and pain or reclaiming one's advantage as one recovers and prepares for an athletic endeavor leads to freedom and transformation. Whatever may be getting in the way - be it living in a stress filled 24/7 technologically driven world, a medical diagnosis, an injury requiring rehab, the Spratt Method of Muscular Therapy is a momentum changer that shifts from the slide into negative momentum to the upward swing of positive momentum.



Today I wrapped up another week in my training cycle as I prepare for the Narrangasset Bay 5K on 7/24th. Because I shifted from racing/taper mode to extending my training mode (since life happened and I couldn't run Finish at the 50 last Sunday), I inadvertently trained 6 days in a row and because Jeffrey was on vacation, I haven't had massage therapy in over a week! What happens on Jeffrey's massage therapy table carries over into my life creating positive momentum and helping me to know in the depths of my mind, body and soul what it means to reclaim my advantage and reclaim my life leaving the past behind and experiencing health, wholeness and well being.

To your health and wellness!
Mary







No comments:

Post a Comment