Friday, June 3, 2016

Reclaim Advantage! Reclaim Life! One Month From Today - Celebrate Independence!



I was so nervous this time last year anticipating my first race since I had experienced a serious knee injury in December of 2014. Yet I knew that I was in amazing hands as a runner partnering with Jeffrey Spratt,MT, pioneer of the life changing Spratt Method of Muscular Therapy. From the moment he asked me "What leg are we rehabbing?" I knew that partnering with him was going to be exactly what I needed to go the distance.

We'd run the Finish at the 50 10K before but we knew the 5K would involve going up and down the ramps at Gillette Stadium. I was so nervous about getting lost that I emailed Race Director Dave McGillvray before the race. He was so kind and gracious in reassuring me that the course is adequately marked and I would not be able to get lost if I tried.

So in setting goals not limits, Friday is my comeback race and I've been training for a PR. I'm getting butterflies and just wanted to make sure the course is well marked for those of us who run 14-15 min/mile pace. We went out to Gillette yesterday and have trained on Heartbreak so I am ready but just need to make sure that there will either be course monitors or signs to direct us. File this under taper madness!

Thank you Dave!

See you Friday!

Cheers!


There will be! I’ll probably be running right behind you, too! Good luck! Dave was referencing the fact that he was going to be pushing Rick Hoyt in his chair at the 10K race.

That's for the 5K! And I couldn't follow the course map on line.

You just made my day Dave - you rock!

Thank you -- it's going to be a great day and no rain :)


Now everyone knows how busy Dave McGilvray is ... he would not let me sit with my anxiety:

Oh, you are doing the 5K…I’m doing the 10K! The 5K goes in the stadium and up and down the ramps!

I know but it was a little confusing but it will be marked or there will be course monitors right?

Very confusing on a map because most of it is in the building. It will be marked, etc. I did it last year…no problems!

THANK YOUUUU! See you Friday. Can't wait ... you are awesome you know that right?

Don’t tell me, tell my wife and kids!!!

And then after the race I sent this along:
As you promised it was an amazing day. Congrats on your great finish. I manifested something far greater than a PR although I was within 27 seconds... It was a day filled with magic and mysticism as so often happens around you and me as I wrote about in my blog.

To which he replied on 7/4:
Congratulations Mary! Told you that you wouldn’t get lost!!!! Ha.

I had brought in the Course Map to Jeffrey at my pre-event massage therapy appointment. He went through the Course with me and then launched into helping me get ready for my comeback race mind, body and soul while he worked. He mentioned that race preparation is similar to getting ready to fly a plane; an analogy, he told me uses, from his training in commercial aviation. "What do you mean your training in commercial aviation?" I inquired. And he shared with me his journey on the road to becoming a massage therapist and how his training in commercial aviation influenced his developing the Spratt Method of Muscular Therapy. He went on to talk about emergency preparedness although you certainly hope for a smooth and uneventful flight. It was one of the most amazing therapeutic massage treatments I had ever experienced! When we finished, he gave me his signature hug and said to me, "You're race ready!"

And so I was!

This year I am free from fear. I am free from going for a PR. I am strong, healthy and running well. I am free from having anything to prove and just want to go out and enjoy the day. This past year I have gained confidence and strength, released so much trauma and fear and reclaimed my advantage and reclaimed my life. One month from today I toe the starting line of a race that intimidated me one year ago and will celebrate my independence embracing whatever pace I choose to run on 7/3.



To your health and wellness!
Mary


No comments:

Post a Comment