Friday, June 24, 2016

Reclaim Advantage! Reclaim Life! The Dancer




"We can't change what happened but we can create what happens moving forward. I'm here to help you heal...to help you feel safe and to help put everything back together again." ~Jeffrey Spratt, MT, Pioneer of the Spratt Method of Muscular Therapy


It took tremendous courage for me, given the abandonment and neglect I suffered after contracting paralytic polio at the hands of my drug addicted mother, to ask Jeffrey if he would do stretching with my arms. Jeffrey incorporates stretching into his sessions and had stretched my arms on different occasions. "Each session has its own vibe," Jeffrey likes to say but is also very clear about the fact he is a body reader not a mind reader. He genuinely appreciates it when I let him know what is going on in my body or what I need in a session. I took the risk knowing that Jeffrey would meet my request with incredible skill, compassion and care. "It just feels like you need that today, huh?" he asked me.

His technique was brilliant and opened the portal to healing the paralysis of my arms after contracting paralytic polio along with having my arms restrained during rapes and beatings from my alcoholic father.

A miracle happened as he worked with my arms. I resurrected the muscle memory of the graceful ballerina within me; the ballerina who was free and happy before contracting paralytic polio. The ballerina who giggled with her little girl ballerinas, who loved being able to do back bends and leap across the floor. I loved the smell of the highly varnished floor, the sound of the piano and the beauty, radiance and to a little 3 or 4 year old girl, perfection of Miss Patricia my ballet teacher.

There's still more work to do to reclaim these arms after paralysis and violence and I am incredibly blessed to partner with Jeffrey as I reclaim advantage, reclaim life and put everything back together again the way it was always meant to be.

For today, sitting in the glorious sunshine getting ready to share my journey on the Jordan Rich Show on WBZ Radio tonight, I smile and relish in embodying the dancer within me.

From "Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life:"

The Dancer

Crumpled cringing alone in darkness portrait of paralyzed child
heap of limbs loss of control panic fear run rampant and wild.
Enter stage right he gathers her gentle tears honor old embrace new
beautiful ballerina transformed music swells the pas de deux.
Dancing with Spirit she celebrates lost in moment of time and space
winged feet now poetry in motion joyful light ease and grace.

Daring she enters spotlight center stage a vision to behold
vulnerable yet confident - courageous strikingly bold.
On point to an audience she no longer plays
soul’s rhythm tempo she keeps
magic memories made in each moment
delighting grateful heart leaps.
Her life she now knows has no bounds
choreography her dancing decree
revelations unveiled with each movement
unencumbered expansive now free.


To your health and wellness!
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment