Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Reclaim Advantage! Reclaim Life! Nine Years Later.....



May 25, 1971 was the day that my father would mark his last birthday on earth before ending his life on 8/1/1971. He was 50 years old at the time. The several months that followed leading up to his death brought me moments of terror that left a deep mark on me mind, body and soul. It was the culmination of 9 years of terror from the time I was 8 years old until his death when I was 17.

I left for Boston University in September and struggled yet triumphed in my academic careers at Boston University and then Boston College where I received an MSW with honors and was inducted into the Jesuit Honor Society Alpha Sigma Nu.

In December 1988 I began my career - an award winning career I might add as a social worker at the Boston VA Health Care System. The years of dissociation of mind from body took its toll beginning in 1999 and by 2006 I knew my mind, body and soul were crying out for healing.

I found the courage to call the Spaulding Rehab International Rehab Center for Polio in October of 2006 and by December/early January of 2006 the diagnosis of post polio syndrome was made along with the decree that I was dealing with a progressive neuromuscular disease. Prepare to spend the rest of your life in a wheelchair, adapt your house but perhaps you will be lucky and the symptoms will stabilize where they are today and not progress...but if you have any hope of maintaining function you need to leave your job and you need to remember - if you use it, you will lose it.

Thanks to the incredible support of my husband Tom and after a scary mammogram result which I transformed through meditation techniques I learned from Bernie Siegel I gave 6 weeks notice.

On May 25, 2007 I cleared out of the Boston VA Healthcare System to embark on my healing odyssey.

Here I am in December of 2007:


And at the Boston Marathon finish line:


It's taken me through many trials and tribulations; to the finish line of the 2009 Boston Marathon and beyond to many many reinventions of myself but always searching asking the question how would I ever reclaim my life?

Once I realized that I was worthy of healing, and reignited my determination within me to heal the effects of paralytic polio and violence after a knee injury in December 2014, the Universe sent me everything I would need to go the distance and reclaim my life.

I met Dr. Ryan Means, chiropractor and healer at the book release party of Journey Well which I am now revising to have some of the content included in my book, "Going the Distance: Healing Trauma Through Running and the Power of Positive Touch." He told me I HAD to read Dr. Joe Dispenza's book, "You Are the Placebo", read Dr. Candace Pert's book, 'Everything you need to know to feel Go(o)d" and watch "What the bleep do we know."


From working with Bernie I "knew" and believed in what they were talking about and for the first time in my healing journey had healers to partner with me.

When I put out the call to the Universe to find a new massage therapist, I was led to Spratt Muscular Therapies website with the motto "Reclaim Advantage. Reclaim Life." I took a leap of faith and made an appointment with Jeffrey Spratt,MT having no idea if he would be yet another in a long line of ineffective and at times harmful body workers. The moment he put his hands on me I knew there was something different about him. It was unlike any other touch or method I'd experienced before or during my then 8 year healing odyssey.



"What is this method you're using?" I asked Jeffrey early on in our work together.

"It's mine - it's the Spratt Method."

That's why I never experienced anything like it before...It was his own method which creates positive momentum and change. Combine the Spratt Method of Muscular Therapy with Jeffrey's training in trauma work and I was blessed with the perfect blend to at last reclaim my advantage and reclaim my life.

This past year has been an epic year in my healing journey. I now have traction on my healing journey and can reclaim my health and wellness. I ran the Bermuda Half Marathon in January and the Hyannis 10K in February hosting a table at the Hyannis Marathon Weekend Expo:


There is more work to do because after all we are all a work in progress but 9 years later - after taking a leap of faith to find a path to healing, I can reclaim advantage and reclaim life feeling absolutely amazing surrounded by healers and a village of love and support. Nine years later -- I thought my career was finished and had no idea what my purpose would be. Now I work as the Communications and Public Relations Director for Spratt Muscular Therapies sharing the innovative, life changing work being done in the practice. I volunteer with the Boston Bulldogs Running Club and run with them every week to reclaim my wellness and recovery through running. Every few weeks I am blessed to partner with Megan Zipin, Peony and the Bee Yoga to reclaim my life through the healing power of yoga.

What if I fall I asked myself countless times after I took my leap of faith leaving the VA -- ahh but what if I fly?!

To your health and wellness,
Mary







No comments:

Post a Comment