Monday, April 18, 2016

Reclaim Advantage! Reclaim Life! On Kicking Asphalt and Celebrating Boston Marathon Weekend

Every year I forget how magical Marathon Weekend is in Boston until I board the Green Line and head in town.

What's so remarkable this year is that I ran 5 miles on Saturday kicking serious asphalt before getting on the Green Line and heading to Fenway Park (Nike+ was a little off but we did do close to 5 miles).



This year we were especially blessed to go to a game at Fenway Park courtesy of John Hancock. Spratt Muscular Therapies provides massage to the John Hancock Employees Marathon Team and Tom and I were invited to the pre-game luncheon in the Champion's Room. What a surprise that Meb, Shalene, Desi and Amy were in the house! After the presentation, I went over to Meb to tell him about our Meb Won, Really sign stories. "I heard about that," Meb said to me. "I knew about the one at mile 17 at the Firehouse and how runners really got a boost when they heard I won and heard something about another sign but didn't know where it was." "May I get a photo with you?" as Meb started making notes in his iPhone about where we had our sign in 2014. "May I just go get my husband?" I asked. "Tom, Meb wants to have a photo with us."



The fab four of running who are going to the Olympics in Rio to run the marathon threw out the first pitch at Fenway:



And the Sox won 4-2!

We got up early on Sunday morning and did a strength training workout. After experiencing Meb's energy and being among Champions I felt a renewed commitment and dedication to my training and my health and wellness journey. We felt the City come alive with the pre-marathon excitement. "You running this year?" people would ask Tom and me as I wore my 2013 Boston Marathon jacket and Tom sported his 2011 jacket. It's so awesome to meet people from all over the country and all over the world. There are no strangers. We met people from Canada, Idaho, Kansas and everyone had a story to tell!

We stopped for lunch and sat outside on Boylston Street and a dear friend of ours just happened by. It was wonderful to connect with her and to feel the pulse of our beautiful City.

Back in 2014, I experienced a marathon moment to last a lifetime and it was time to meet the woman who thanked us for being a fan! Here we are with Maureen Jones from Rochester, Minnesota:


And as we were experiencing the happiness and joy of meeting in person after a 2 year on line friendship, Ginger Betty came over and placed a Gingerbread Peace Medal cookie around my neck. "Wait Maureen should have this." "I have one for her too." Of course she would:



We chatted like we were dear old friends - actually more like family - soul sisters and we said goodbye as Tom and I entered the First Ladies of Women Running Seminar where we were reunited with Jacqueline Hansen who blessed my Hyannis 10K.



Next up was The Expo and seeing our dear friends Ken and Nell of Blue Diamond Athletic Displays:


We headed out to experience the magic of the finish line and soak up the ambiance before the throngs of runners would experience what Team McManus experienced on 4/20/2009:



and to celebrate 50 years of women running:


One year ago on the Sunday before the Marathon, I began my partnership with Jeffrey Spratt,MT, pioneer of the life saving Spratt Method of Muscular Therapy. Being able to go on a run, travel on the T, socialize, go to a ball game; get up the next morning and strength train, ride on the train, walk around Boylston Street, attend a seminar, go to the Expo, stand up on the train ride home and then wake up refreshed on Marathon Monday ready to greet the day is a miracle to me. I have reclaimed my advantage and reclaimed my life from the effects of paralytic polio and trauma including the events of 4/15/13 and how wondrous and wonderful to celebrate Boston Marathon weekend 2016!

To your health and wellness,
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment