Monday, April 25, 2016

Reclaim Advantage! Reclaim Life! The joy of the long distance runner!



These past almost 10 years have been an amazing journey. I went from being told to prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair to the finish line of the Boston Marathon and beyond. But the beyond lacked a consistent training program where I could accomplish events, take some time off and then train again for more events. There was either injury or resurgence of symptoms of post polio syndrome.

Can you imagine how wonderful it feels to have fully recovered from my knee injury of December of 2014 and to have this new found confidence and strength in my body; to be able to find my threshold and even go beyond it at times yet no longer fearing what might happen? Because I know that no matter what, through my meditation and practicing the teachings of Dr. Joe Dispenza and partnering with Jeffrey Spratt,MT, pioneer of the life saving-life changing-momentum changing Spratt Method of Muscular Therapy I can reclaim my body and reclaim my life from the effects of paralytic polio and trauma.

I can't believe it's almost May. People are asking me - what's next now that my off season is nearing to an end.

First up - on June 10 is the Quonset Air Show 4 Miler - a race to benefit veterans in Rhode Island. What's really sweet about this race in addition to the fly over and the fact it will benefit veterans is that Jeffrey Spratt is going to be running in it!



This will be a prelude to the Finish at the 50 on July 3rd which was my comeback race last year after the knee injury that everyone - well those who were not in the know - said would be the injury that sidelined me from running for good.



I remember how I brought the course map in to Jeffrey and he coached me through the course. While he worked on me he gave me his pre-race gospel according to Jeffrey that focused on mental and contingency preparedness for race day that held me in excellent stead during the race. He attended to every detail right down to thinking about when I would pee before the race. I smile at how much I have learned from him throughout this past year healing mind, body and soul.

And then...after Finish at the 50 ... it's time to once again train for the Bermuda Half Marathon!

I'm up to 5 miles on Saturdays and will begin to build my miles again after 7/3.

It's going to be an entirely different experience running Finish at the 50 and then training for the Bermuda Half Marathon happening in January of 2017.



Rather than feeling the anxiety and the angst wondering if this body would be able to go the distance, I will be able to relish the experience feeling what Dr. George Sheehan describes for the distance runner: “The distance runner is mysteriously reconciling the separations of body and mind, of pain and pleasure, of the conscious and the unconscious. He is repairing the rent, and healing the wound in his divided self. He has found a way to make the ordinary extraordinary; the commonplace unique; the everyday eternal.”

To your health and wellness!
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment