Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Reclaim Advantage! Reclaim Life! Freedom and Healing on the Roads




This year the Boston Marathon is celebrating the 50th anniversary of when the first woman ran the Boston Marathon. Bobbi Gibb was interviewed by WGBH to talk about her pioneering run that paved the way for women on and off the roads.

"I think I started running the minute I could walk," says Gibb. "I just never stopped running, and all my little girlfriends stopped running when they got to be, I don't know, 13, 14, 15 years old. And I was still running in the woods with the neighborhood dogs. And I was 20 years old and I was still running. I just love to run-- because somehow, it made me feel more alive."

I strongly encourage you to watch the 6+ minute video. It is goosebumps guaranteed.

Thanks to Bobbi Gibb's strength and courage and call to liberate women from being denigrated to a subordinate role in our culture, I was able to run the 2009 Boston Marathon and experience the freedom and healing that comes with running.

In the 1960's, a woman's role in American society was still mainly to support her husband, the breadwinner. But Gibb wanted something different.

"I felt there was something really basic missing in the kind of suburban life that was set out for us, especially for women. I think I was looking for something deeper," says Gibb.

Gibb watched the Boston Marathon in 1964 with her father. It was the first time she had ever seen other people running, and the sight had a real effect on Gibb.

"I saw all these people running by, and I wasn't thinking whether they were men or women-- I just saw these incredibly strong, enduring people. And to me, it said something very deep about what it is to be human," says Gibb.

"It's as primal as when we stood up on the central plains of Africa, and stood up on our hind feet and started to run. There's something so basically human about that kind of endurance. The courage it takes to run a race like that, and to live a life of integrity-- I just fell in love with it."


I have been doing a lot of cross training at Wave Health and Fitness. While I know it has helped me to build strength and use different muscles while alleviating the stress on my joints, it is time for me to get back into a more regular running routine.

My body needs to run more than once a week and more than 3.2 miles.

It's funny - one year ago at this time I was just slowly and gingerly getting back on the roads after being told in December of 2014 that I would not and should not run again.

"What leg are we rehabbing?" Jeffrey Spratt,MT asked me during my first visit with him on 4/19/15. From the moment I felt the way he worked with my legs, I could feel that he infused me with the power and confidence to run again.

This is the first time in my healing journey of the past 9+ years that I have been able to consistently move forward and experience health and wellness despite a history of paralytic polio followed by 9 years of violence. My body is resilient and wants and needs and loves to move --- and to run.

I am really excited to get out and do a 5 miler on Saturday and restart my racing training cycle.

It's going to be amazing to experience the Finish at the 50 at Gillette Stadium on July 3rd this year experiencing a new sense of confidence and trust in my body after having run the Bermuda Half Marathon in January.

It's an interesting cycle of how, through partnering with Jeffrey and the power of positive touch, I reclaim my advantage and reclaim my life and then expand on that experience through the sport of running that brings a powerful experience of freedom and healing transforming and transcending all that went before.

To your health and wellness,
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment