Thursday, February 18, 2016

Reclaim Advantage - Reclaim Life: Will you run with me? - Finding my voice!

s

In my recent treatment with Jeffrey Spratt,MT, the emotions of what it meant for me to keep my silence after being molested along with the guilt, shame and shouldering the burdens of the "sins" of my family surfaced. It was incredibly liberating to share with Jeffrey the pain and suffering I endured in keeping my silence and the double life I lived.

When I first started working with Jeffrey, I was very timid in letting him know where I was hurting. Of course his seasoned and skilled intuitive hands and heart found the places that needed healing but it was a huge breakthrough for me in my healing journey when, in one treatment I said to him, "My IT band is hurting." I showed him where I was feeling discomfort and he said, "Got it." To have someone respond to my discomfort with such compassion and immediacy was a turning point in my healing. I would no longer need to endure whatever the body worker I was working with at the time decided was right for my body but rather I could engage and interact and truly partner with Jeffrey to take care of whatever needed to be attended to during the treatment.

Jeffrey is all about empowering his clients to fully participate in their own healing through education, through the power of positive touch and encouraging feedback and dialogue during the treatment. Of course he also honors when I need to be quiet and mindful and process whatever is happening inside of me.

Jeffrey works without product for a lot of the treatment which allows a powerful kinetic flow of energy from the Divine through him to me. One must experience it to understand the powerful healing that happens through touch and through the Spratt Method of Muscular Therapy that Jeffrey pioneered to create transformative massage therapy sessions. As Jeffrey paused on my back for a moment with his large hands splayed out on my thoracic spine I asked him to just rest there for a minute and allow me to breathe into his hands. My instincts told me that's what I needed to facilitate healing of my respiratory system that had been compromised by paralytic polio and not had a chance to heal because of the beatings that I endured night after night. What a blessing and a miracle to be able to shift from being smothered, strangled and muzzled to being free to talk, to ask for what I need and to breathe deeply and heal through the laying on of hands.

This morning the alarm went off at 6:15am. Tom and I meditated, did our plank, crunches and clams and headed out the door on our run. Tom was power walking while I was pushing my pace despite the cold air and wind. I wanted to make sure that I am Hyannis 2016 ready! When I looked over and saw Tom power walking I felt an old familiar tug inside of me about being a survivor of polio and not being able to keep up; feelings of inadequacy because Tom could power walk at a relatively easy pace while I was pushing myself. It was all me; it had nothing to do with what Tom was doing. And so, rather than continue to experience those old feelings, I said to Tom, "Will you run with me?" "Of course," he said. "I'm glad you asked."

We talked about how new and important it is for me to find my voice; to express my needs and to move forward, embodying a new way of being mind, body and soul.

In my mind's eye, I run a 12:00 minute mile. I felt the cold sting my face and burn my lungs. My legs felt like frozen popsicles. It didn't matter. Team McManus pushed on. It had been two weeks since we were able to run outdoors and I totally embraced the good pain of the run.

I am so deeply blessed to now have men in my life who honor and respect me; who want to see me heal and to be the absolute best I can be.

Men who want me to reclaim my advantage, reclaim my life and find and use my voice so that I need not live my history again!



To your health and wellness!
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment