Friday, January 29, 2016

Running to Heal: Creating Triumph Over Tragedy



This morning in my Facebook news feed, one of my dear sole sisters, Jane Lewis Brown posted this picture:


with this text: A day in History ... 7 years ago today ... As I reminded Tom, {her husband} he said to me, "You've come a long way ... look at you now, you're gonna run a marathon!" ... me, through my tears, "I hope so, Tom. I hope so." All I know is that every. DAY. is a Blessing!!!

This began an exchange between us and she wrote:
I can't believe it's been 7 years, when it just seems like yesterday. Two knee surgeries, and two years of recovery, and my first 5K with my daughter on Mother's Day 2011 ... countless races since ... and they said I'd never run again, or have full range of motion in my leg ... Nobody knows what the spirit and the heart know ... nobody can tell you what you can and cannot do ... all you have to do is believe and nothing is impossible!!

She has been a steadfast cheerleader and passionate follower of my journey seeing how everything is possible, the power of belief and the healing power of running! I am so blessed to call her my friend and sole sister.

When I found myself in a leg brace, using a wheelchair for mobility at times and facing a future of a progressive neuromuscular disease, it was a wake up call. As I prayed for guidance, the answer came in the form of a poem called, "Running the Race."

I watched the "Forrest Gump" scene run Forrest run over and over and over again to begin to get a sense of muscle memory to be able to visualize myself running. And now as I move forward in my journey of health and wellness, I continue to imagine a "factory new" body everywhere devoid of the effects of paralytic polio and violence. I remind myself with every breath, with each sip of water, with each workout and run that I am free. I am whole. I am healed and I have reclaimed my advantage and reclaimed my life from the thieves who tried to steal it away from me.

I claimed that I would run the 2009 Boston Marathon and on that road to the Boston Marathon I began to reclaim my life but until now could not seem to get the traction I needed to heal everything.

Last July I set the intention that I was going to run long and strong again and check off the Bermuda Half Marathon from my bucket list. There was powerful healing and transformation along the road to the Bermuda Half Marathon. I now have momentum and a sense of triumph and invincibility over the tragedy that happened in my childhood and a knowing I can heal it all through the gift of running.

Like Jane, the doctors have been repeatedly telling me to not run (and worse - that I would spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair, possibly needing a feeding tube and needing a sleep apnea machine) especially after a serious knee injury last year. The power of belief trumps anything that doctors tell us:



Like me, Jane will be triumphant in her running of the Sugarloaf Marathon on Sunday May 15, 2016! Join me in cheering her on and sending her positive energy and giving thanks that she is another shining example of how we can indeed triumph over tragedy!




2 comments:

  1. Simply Humbled, Mary!! Bless you a thousand times over!! Indeed, the body can and will achieve what the mind (and heart) believes!! You and Me, Sole Sisters, Together, forever! <3
    ... (you posted this at 9:16am ... which happens to be my birthday backwards 619 .... just a little quinkydink.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply Humbled, Mary!! Bless you a thousand times over!! Indeed, the body can and will achieve what the mind (and heart) believes!! You and Me, Sole Sisters, Together, forever! <3
    ... (you posted this at 9:16am ... which happens to be my birthday backwards 619 .... just a little quinkydink.)

    ReplyDelete