Sunday, December 6, 2015

This time last year....

I had no gastroc muscle in my left calf. I had all sorts of "pathological" findings in my left knee. I had no job. I was stuck in my healing journey and I had somehow inadvertently surrounded myself with nay sayers who told me that I should not and could not run again and reinforcing the image I had of myself as a survivor of paralytic polio and trauma. I had a great "run" of 9 races in 9 months with 3 PR's but did not have everything in place that I needed to run unencumbered, healthy, happy and free. I had decided to hang up my running shoes - for about two weeks after my last race and wanted to return to running, but had given up the dream of ever being a distance runner again.



I did have hope and was feverishly writing poetry about reclaiming my life, running unencumbered and leaving my past behind. There was a spark that would not and could not die within me to move forward in my journey of healing and transformation.

I met Dr. Ryan, a chiropractor and healer in March who suggested I read You Are The Placebo by Dr. Joe Dispenza and met Jeffrey Spratt,MT, Owner and Principal of Spratt Muscular Therapies, LLC in April.

Spring is a wonderful time for renewal and rebirth.

I fired my "team" who were shrugging and doubtful and fearful and dampening my desire to return to the roads; who would not partner with me as I claimed that I was not going to have anymore surgery and that I could and would heal.

I partnered with Jeffrey to go the distance and to reclaim my life and reclaim my advantage. In 38 days, Team McManus boards a plane from Boston to Bermuda and in 41 days we toe the line at the start of the Bermuds Half Marathon. The last time I was in Bermuda, in December of 2007, I used a leg brace and a wheelchair at times for mobility. Yesterday I ran 11 miles - 11 miles - the longest run since I ran the 2009 Boston Marathon!

It's December again and my flame burns brightly.

I have a job! And not just any job. I am the Communications and Public Relations Director for Spratt Muscular Therapies where I am blessed to help spread the word about this phenomenal innovative massage therapy practice working side by side with Jeffrey as we spread the word about the Spratt Method of Muscular Therapy.

Yesterday we opened the doors to our second room and have added new staff. It is exciting and exhilarating to be a part of a growing, thriving life changing practice in the Seaport district of Boston.

This time last year was a dark time for me but ...



This year I am celebrating the season of light, love and miracles and I am going the distance having come a long way since this time last year.







No comments:

Post a Comment