Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Oh but my darling what if you fly?



As a survivor of paralytic polio followed by 9 years of unrelenting childhood violence at the hands of family members, I was always trying to find ways to "play it safe." I had a life plan. I was going to retire from the VA after I met the requirements of time and service and then work at Bloomingdale's as I mentioned in yesterday's post.

As Helen Keller so wisely said, "Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure..." and she goes on to say


Nine years ago I was told by the staff at Spaulding Rehab's International Rehab Center for Polio that I "had" post polio syndrome which they said was a progressive neuromuscular disease. The team was compassionate, caring and kind and unknowingly gave me just the kick in my behind that I needed to light up my Spirit and make significant changes in my life.

I began to take risks and profound leaps of faith by quitting my job at the VA before I was "ready" to retire, by declaring I'd run the 2009 Boston Marathon, by living life by the seat of my pants trying out all sorts of different adventures with exploring healing modalities and seeking my life's purpose.



One year ago I experienced a knee injury that provided me with the wake up call I needed again to bring into being all that I'd worked for, prayed about, wrote poetry about and wanted in the depths of my soul. A few years ago I imagined running in Bermuda. I would play The Music and the Mirror from A Chorus Line yearning to find a place to fit in and wake up each morning to find I had somewhere exciting to go. Jeffrey was building his dream with Spratt Muscular Therapies. The Universe brought us together.

In a little over a month I will cross the finish line in the Bermuda Half Marathon thanks in large part to partnering with Jeffrey as my massage therapist and being able to reclaim my advantage and reclaim my life.

This Saturday we add a second room to our practice at Spratt Muscular Therapies, LLC located at WaveHealth in the beautiful Seaport Hotel Boston.

Jeffrey Spratt,MT, Owner and Principal of Spratt Muscular Therapies had a vision for creating an innovative massage therapy practice which included having a second room. He didn't know the what, when or how it was all going to come about. Perhaps that is why we get along so well. We have a vision and conspire with the Universe to allow it to happen. We dance with the Universe and see what happens. Whether training for my half marathon or building a dream it's easy to ask the question, What if I fall but if you listen really closely to the Universe, the Universe responds with oh but my darling what if you fly?



No comments:

Post a Comment