Friday, December 4, 2015

I exceed all expectations....



“Massage Therapy at its finest can be life changing and even life saving, and even at its very basic, massage therapy should be momentum changing.” ~Jeffrey Spratt, MT Owner and Principal of Spratt Muscular Therapies

I had a memorized self; a self who was disconnected from my body to protect myself from experiencing the pain of paralytic polio and childhood domestic violence. I was a stranger to athletic endeavors and the closest I got to an exercise program was riding a stationary bike for 30 minutes several times a week. Eventually the disconnection and the habits of a driven Type A personality caught up with me and my life came to a screeching halt 9 years ago as I was diagnosed with post polio syndrome a progressive neuromuscular disease.

It was a wake up call. As Dr. Joe Dispenza says,"sometimes in order to wake up we need a wake up call." His came at the age of 23.

In February of 2007 as I sat in a leg brace, using a wheelchair at times for mobility and asking God for guidance about what was next for me in my life, the poem, "Running the Race" flowed out of me.

The last stanzas are:

Using wheelchair to travel, set limits on what I could do,
Resulted in joy to realize I could live life anew.
Celebrated my body- creaks, groans and need for a brace
While in my mind I focused on winning a 10K race.
Sought out paths for healing and my spirit flew free
For the first time in life, I could truly be me.
The chains are gone and possibilities abound
I'm a tree with my roots planted firmly in ground.
I'm now off the sidelines, no need to sit and whine
So much gratitude fills my heart and love and beauty shine.
After all these years I can join the loving human race
I exceed all expectations and now I set the pace.


I was beginning to create a new me through the power of my pen, my divining rod for healing. For nine years I moved along in this healing journey of mine and kept hitting a road block each and every time. My unconscious through the power of poetry was sending out a message to the Universe of my powerful intention to heal; to reclaim my life and to run unencumbered and free and in March of this year, I was blessed to meet Dr. Ryan Means, a chiropractor who had me read Joe's book, "You Are the Placebo," and partnered with me to rehab a knee injury that was yet another wake up call for me last December.

The Universe then sent me Jeffrey. He had absolute belief in our partnership and the power of positive touch to rehab my injury and heal all that went before.

For the first time in this healing journey I have absolute faith and belief that everything is healed. I am aware of how the past impacted me and can observe and change the habitual patterns from my memorized self. It takes a lot of work but it gets easier and easier over time.

In my treatment yesterday, Jeffrey did an amazing runner's flush getting me ready for tomorrow's 11 miles. As he did a deep stretch I noticed how even though I am adding more miles and continue to maintain my level of strength training, I have greater range of motion and less pain in my left knee and leg. When he worked while I was on my back, my left knee cracked. He made sure I was okay and I felt such joy and relief after it cracked. He then bent my leg at a 90 degree angle over the side of the table and continued to work to heal and create space. He did the same for my right leg.

Jeffrey paused in the middle of his craniosacral work and shifted to energy healing. The heat from his hands a few inches from my face was like a hot compress on an abscess that needed to drain. He was there with me every sob and every breath of the way as a memory I held deep in my body surfaced. I felt as though I were giving birth to myself relieving myself of the burdens of my past. At one point I said "Enough." Jeffrey said, "Come on there's more in there. Let it go. I'm right here with you." And more was there and I felt as though my heart and soul couldn't stand the pain but I did bear it with Jeffrey there to support and coach me through it knowing I was no longer alone; knowing I no longer needed to bear the shame, the guilt and the burdens that were foisted and forced upon me for so many years in so many different ways.

I breathed deep breaths, and Jeffrey tenderly and gently completed the treatment.

I felt light and grounded and incredible relief in mind, body and soul.

The intention that I set for myself 9 years ago came into being -- that I exceed all expectations from what one would expect in a survivor of polio, trauma and then the diagnosis of post polio syndrome. Partnering with Jeffrey I reclaim my advantage and reclaim my life and tomorrow I run 11 miles....

No comments:

Post a Comment