Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Countdown to Bermuda: Training from the Inside Out

A powerful take home message from Jeffrey Spratt,MT, Owner and Principal of Spratt Muscular Therapies,LLC presentation, "Your Boston Marathon: Tips for Getting to the Finish Line Healthy and Happy" is, "Listen to your body." He expresses it as Mind the Gap:



When Jeffrey was living abroad in Asia, on the subway in Hong Kong a woman in a British accent announced to the passengers as they were exiting the train, “mind the gap.”

The body heals when you create an optimal healing environment and recovers from whatever demands we place on it when we train mindfully and train from the inside out. It is easy to panic as the countdown continues on the road to the Bermuda Half Marathon as I experience sensations I have not known in 6 years! I’m training at a level I didn’t even train at when I trained for the 2009 Boston Marathon. After running 10 miles on Saturday out on the Boston Marathon course I was sore and yesterday in the pool at WaveHealth I listened to what my body was telling me. I knew I did not need to train as intensely as I had with the increased miles. While I still did strength training in the pool and swam laps, I incorporated more stretching and eased up on the pace and intensity of the laps. I could feel soreness in my legs and I did indeed, mind the gap.

This morning we ran our 5K distance in 22 degree weather. We took it slow and easy. As we ran I thought about my goals. My first goal is going the distance - 13.1 miles to be exact in just 51 days.

The Bermuda Marathon Weekend is posting photos as we get closer to race weekend.



After Bermuda, Team McManus will be going to Hyannis and running the Hyannis 10K together in February. From February to July I'm going to work on speed again and train for the Finish at the Fifty at Gillette Stadium and then it will be building up miles again to train for Bermuda 2017.

After this morning's run, my right leg was, what Jeffrey calls, "barking at me." As I mentioned, it's easy to freak out and panic especially since it is the anniversary of my knee injury last year. I remembered all the things that are so different this year in my training most notably my belief system.

Partnering with Jeffrey, I have total confidence in healing and in my body's ability to recover from the demands I am placing on it. I am cross training, meditating and going for weekly sports massage therapy with Jeffrey. Through the power of positive touch, Jeffrey and I continue to partner to heal trauma from the past that can leave one vulnerable to injury, and manage a very stressful situation in my life right now.

After this afternoon's treatment, I have no pain anywhere! I am still sore and I am going to be sore because I am training for a half marathon but it's a good sore of muscles being worked and improving my health and fitness.

It's a whole new world for me working with a massage therapist who believes in educating his clients and motivating them to reclaim their advantage and reclaim their life. I know that as different issues may arise as I push and challenge myself, that through the power of my belief system and the power of positive touch, I can train from the inside out and GO THE DISTANCE with confidence and strength.



No comments:

Post a Comment