Sunday, October 4, 2015

What's the Difference?

Last Sunday I reflected on the difference between Jeffrey Spratt,MT and all of the other massage therapists I went to during these past 9 years of my healing odyssey.

I love long runs with Tom because it's like a moving meditation. We unplug and experience the world around us and the world within us. Yesterday during our 8.5 miler in the wind and rain, I once again had the opportunity to experience deep gratitude and appreciation for the work I am doing with Jeffrey. I reflected on what makes Jeffrey and his entire Team at Spratt Muscular Therapies so special. I am blessed to work as the Communications and Public Relations Director for Spratt Muscular Therapies and interviewed each of the massage therapists who are part of the Team. Their common thread? Compassion.



I thought about the modalities that the other people I saw used. They are based on power and control, imposing their view of what is needed onto the client, and what really struck me during my run yesterday was how they talk about distancing yourself from the client.

KMI Structural Integration and Rolfing involve the body worker knowing what is right for the client to "heal" them. There is a smugness among the "providers" in the community along with an arrogance that they are the ones who can fix what is wrong with the client.

I read Fritz Smith's book about Zero Balancing and was struck by the terminology he used. Fulcrums, maintaining an optimal distance from your client to keep the energy fields clear, verbal fulcrums that you can learn to stimulate healing in your client.

The words and techniques of both KMI and Zero Balancing involve edges and bones and either aggression or passivity and leave out a key component in the work - the power of being a compassionate presence with another and opening your heart to bring comfort and relief.

I was incredibly vulnerable to those using KMI and Zero Balancing given my trauma history. Every day I thank the Universe I found my way to Jeffrey which was no accident. I was writing about running unencumbered and free and reclaiming my life. Jeffrey was creating Spratt Muscular Therapies whose motto is Reclaim Advantage. Reclaim Life. In my first treatment with him he set the intention for me to run unencumbered knowing very little about me. Jeffrey literally and figuratively dives right in with heart, hands and soul to bring relief, comfort and healing.

The Team at Spratt Muscular Therapies exude passion about their work and dedication to the practice and profession of Massage Therapy.



So what's the difference? What separates Jeffrey and Team at Spratt Muscular Therapies from the pack of massage therapists in Boston?

They MAKE a difference through their caring hands and hearts. They live, breathe and practice Reclaim Advantage. Reclaim Life. I'm running longer, stronger and living life with more energy and joy than I ever dreamed was possible for me given all I lived through.

What's the difference?

They are not following some protocol or formula when they work but allowing the art and science of the work to flow through their hands.

They have heart, compassion, and passion and that's the difference!



No comments:

Post a Comment